Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Strangers taking photos of my child

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Yep, cultural difference--especially if you're dealing with Mainlanders. If you really want to experience this go to a city or town that is out-of-the-way in Mainland China and experience a crowd flocking to follow you around (especially if you have, like other posters said, fair skin and hair). Yesterday, I was on the Star Ferry and the behavior of some of the Mainland tourists made me remark that they are both "ridiculous and hilarious." There is definitely a totally different definition of what is "private" and "public" in Mainland China and basically if you're out in public, you are public to them and just like the Disney characters you're there to be observed and well, to take pictures of. But, I've never noticed anyone taking photos of my child. Getting, too close to him, yes. It's pretty easy to deal with if they're little and can't speak up for themselves--you just tell the people to go away. I guess I would be the type to allow photos as long as my child consents to it when he's older--but only if the people taking the photo don't seem weird to me.

Gracey is offline Registered User

But, as someone said above, Mainlanders just take photos of anyone and anything. I had one shove a camera into my face (and my dinner) while eating on a terrace near LKF. And I'm a Chinese adult!

When I was a little kid in America, my Hong Kong mom would be freaked out by random Americans coming to pinch the cheek or touch the head of the exotic little Asian girl. (They'd also sometimes try to give us money, since they presumed we were poor). But back then, it wasn't like everyone had digital cameras.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

When we were at Disney two weeks ago, we were eating lunch and some mainlanders who moved their chairs around so they could stare at my daughter (and when I mean stare, they were watching her unashamedly for about five minutes!) - and then when they wanted a better view, they actually grabbed her stroller to move it so they could see her better!! I was thinking "Have you ever heard about personal space?" - but I know the culture is so different there... I try not to be too uptight about it because I know they mean no harm by it, and they're not harming anyone. But at Disney the other week, I was really starting to get annoyed by all the attention!!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

Thanks everyone for the advice. I like the idea of letting your own child decide for herself what she makes of the situation. I must say that on day 2 at Disney, the situation certainly lent itself to a free for all photo op when my daughter decided to dance on Main Street while waiting for the parade to start. She was oblivious to the waiting crowds, dancing to the music and made herself such a prime target for photo ops. At that point, my husband & I just shrugged our shoulders and let her enjoy the moment much to the amusement of the crowd. It was indeed a case of choosing your own battles. I was so preoccupied with what to do with the happy snappers that my husband then reminded me that WE should be getting a video of our own daughter to capture this spontaneous moment. I should've said, not to worry as I'll just ask the dozen or so onlookers for their videos too!

Naive question: how do you know they're mainlanders? Do we dare go down that path?
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User

after you've been here for a while, you just know.

they have a different:
    1) style of dress
    2) manners
    3)mannerisms
    4) language (sounds completely different to cantonese)
    5) the men all carry man-bags
    6) the women are generally, way "over-dressed" for what they are doing... i mean, who wears stillettos and hot pants (with tights underneath) to ocean park?
    7) they often carry all of their own snacks (unless they get stopped at the gates of the parks)
    8) they take pictures of the weirdest things
    9) they spit anywhere and everywhere
    10) they smoke cheap cigs like chimneys
    11) they often squat while waiting for someone
    12) they ALWAYS push and shove to be first in line or to get the 1/4 inch closer to the front than you
    13) have no sense of privacy

a lot of it comes from the fact that they are so densely populated etc.

i hope i haven't offended anyone. for most of the above, i don't have a problem.... the only points that really bug me are the pushing and shoving and the spitting/smoking.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

8) they take pictures of the weirdest things

I've had surreal moments where I've wanted to take pictures of the people taking pictures (I don't though because it's not culturally me ;-)

I think style of dress is a big one, it applies to lots of nationalities - for some countries it's fairly easy to tell where people are from from the style and brands of clothes they are wearing, especially if they're in large similarly dressed groups. Socks and sandals anyone?

carang is offline Registered User

they have the thinnest nylon socks for men in the mainland... that is one that i always notice... along with the taking a photo while squating at the side of the road, and spitting with a cheap cig hanging out of the mouth

taysty is offline Registered User

Though my boss is from mainland too I wanna add to what cara said. Thinnest nylon socks and mostly pointed leather shoes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast