Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Strangers taking photos of my child

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    I find I also have to tell them to stop touching. We have the same problem with photos, especially with people wanting to photograph and touch our daughter's brown hair (she is 1/2 chinese). In Disneyland it is particularly bad, but also in TST.. and well... as others have said - basically all the tourist attractions in HK. Although we have also had people try and 'slip' photos in Sydney, Australia a couple of times. Whilst mainlanders are the most obsessed, they aren't the only culture who do this.
    However, like others, I ask my daughter if she will let them take a photo, and depending on her response they may or may not be allowed to. It can sometimes be amusing the lengths they will try to take to get a picture when she says no... but most of the time we find people respect that no means no.
    We have had mob-like touching of my daughter while waiting in line for rides at Disneyland and Ocean Park (even worse!) where myself and my helper have had to act as human shields to stop people (especially the older chinese ladies) from stroking and pulling my daughter's hair. It isn't very nice and hard to get them to understand that their attention - whilst obvious fascination - is unwanted.
    Unfortunately though, it is part of life and you just have to work out what you are comfortable with allowing and accepting.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Naive question: how do you know they're mainlanders? Do we dare go down that path?

Easy. They way they dress and accessorize, their body language and the volume of their voices are the most obvious signs. Also, the fact that you're at Disneyland says a lot--that's a huge destination for Mainland tourists. Also, they may be speaking Mandarin--so if you combine all of these together it's easy to tell. Once you've been to Mainland China a few times and traveled around you'll for sure know.

Some accessories Mainlanders like:

-Lots of rhinestones (on everything)--especially in hair clips for women
    -Permed hair--and not just for the old ladies
    -Dyed hair--a lot of really bad dye-jobs--in the most unnatural looking tones--for women
    -Belts--the men like to show a little "bling" on their belts with some brand (Gucci etc.) or a knock-off
    -Oversized suits--the men often wear suits or blazers and they are not well-fitted (most HK men have a sense of how a suit should fit)
    -A kaleidoscope of colors--this also happens a lot in HK but Mainlanders take it to the extreme
    -Bright pink lipstick for the women
    -Pointy black shoes with a buckle for the men
    -Outrageous shoes (often with rhinestones or some sort of fur bobble on them) for the women
    Last edited by thanka2; 02-28-2011 at 09:22 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    the suits that look like they were made for the lead singer from TALKING HEADS (anyone remember that band?).... also, poorly stitched... can see the stitches in the material... actually, generally the suit jackets/blazer just look cheap.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    This could be a business opportunity. Perhaps I should make a t-shirt written in Mandarin "my child is not a Disney character, no photos please" They might start taking photos of my tshirt but I'm happy to take a bullet for my daughter :-)
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    forget that... just start charging $10/photo....you will have her education paid for before she hits 4 years old!!

;)

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I do sometimes wonder if I'm going to go to mainland China one day and see The Boy smiling at me from a baby food ad - they've got to do something with all these photos!

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Most probably you will see the pics in some Facebook account. I don't know about mainlanders, but I do some local friends who do photograph as hobby (and lot of local do). They sometime take pictures of ordinary things (like post, streets, walls, building ceilings, etc). I also used to think that those are weirds, but their pictures really look good, natural and quite artistic.
    Posted via Mobile Device

taysty is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    forget that... just start charging $10/photo....you will have her education paid for before she hits 4 years old!!

;)
    LOL Too bad i dont have such a chance as my girl is chinese. Those mainlanders like to go for blonde or half chinese.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast