Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Strangers taking photos of my child

taysty is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    -Pointy black shoes with a buckle for the men
    And also made of leather and sometimes crocodile-like leather.

charade is offline Registered User
    Am I the only one who is uncomfortable with all this Mainlander-stereotyping. It seems a little mean to me. Do people from the Mainland read this site? If so, wonder what they're thinking...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    Am I the only one who is uncomfortable with all this Mainlander-stereotyping. It seems a little mean to me. Do people from the Mainland read this site? If so, wonder what they're thinking...
    Couple questions:

1. Have you ever been around many Mainland Chinese people (either in Hong Kong or elsewhere)?
    2. Do you have any close Mainland Chinese friends?

I see nothing really mean about pointing out some very obvious cultural styles that Mainland Chinese people carry. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying that I've noticed a lot of Mainland Chinese people wearing rhinestones or impractical shoes--this is my observation. I'm American and I've read PLENTY of stereotyping about who and what Americans are both on this site and others and I don't take it personally. I can also pick out an American like a sore thumb in any crowd based on their clothing and appearance. Also easy to pick out someone from Korea, Japan, Russia (or former USSR). And of course all of these are very superficial things--not saying anything about these peoples' character or who they are--only talking about how they dress and mannerisms.

Also, I have many Mainland Chinese friends (whom I lived with over a considerable amount of time) and we've talked about all these odd (to me) things that Mainlanders do and had plenty of laughs about it--they don't take themselves too seriously either. They also had a lot to say about who and what foreigners are and they are MUCH less shy about stereotyping us, believe me. Examples: All foreigners (white-faces) are rich. All foreigners are greedy and wasteful. All foreign women are obsessed with sex and promiscuous. All foreigners are fat. All foreigners are lazy....just to name a few of the most common stereotypes DIRECTLY expressed to me by both strangers and friends.

I could tell you stories that would blow your hair back about the things I've seen and even experienced myself in Mainland China while living there for quite some time--none of which is unusual or just one-off experiences.

I just think it's a bit silly to play PC police here.
    Last edited by thanka2; 03-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234