Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby constipation

OlympianCity is offline Registered User

baby constipation

we've started introducing solid to my my boy's diet this month (he is now 6 months old, and was breastfed exclusively before this) and he's been taking in quite well. He seems to love everything we fed him with - apple, sweet potatoes, avocado, carrots, pumpkins, rice and oat cereals.....

The only problem is - he is constipated so frequently after being fed with solid! And he doesn't like to drink water much. We tried to mix prune juice in his solid food for the past 2 days - twice a day. Each time, we add about 1oz of prune juice. i also stopped the rice cereals yesterday. We also tried massaging his belly. But that does not solve the issue.

Any suggestions? We're thinking about taking him to the doctor tomorrow ..but honestly i don't want to.. i really want to try the natural way

Gataloca is offline Registered User

My 7 month old doesn't like to drink much water either. We give him diluted (1:1) prune or apple juice. In addition to massaging his belly, you can try to move his legs in a cycle motion (like riding a bike). Also read that the following food can cause constipation: B.R.A.T., which stand for banana, rice, applesauce and toast.

OlympianCity is offline Registered User

Thanks! oh .. i think i have perhaps fed him with too much applesauce. But i read that apple juice actually is good to ease constipation though

Liquorice is offline Registered User

constipation solution?

Hi OlympianCity, did you find a solution to this? I have the same problem with my 6 month old boy. I have followed all of the advice (cut down on rice, banana etc., drink more water, prune juice, massaging tummy, pumping legs) but nothing seems to help...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

My daughter was extremely constipated when starting solids. Even before solids, she was one of those babies who only pooped once every 4-7 days. After solids, she would scream and scream every time she needed to poop and then when she DID poop, she would bleed from the strain. Her bottom was continually bleeding... It was really bad. We tried every diet solution that we could think of - including feeding her on prunes and pears and all those kinds of things, adding probiotics, etc... it only slightly helped but she was still extremely constipated. After taking her to the doctor, the doctor recommended that we start giving her a bit of "lactulose". Lactulose is a sugar solution that is not able to be absorbed by the body. It is about as safe as medicines come since it is just sugar. Since it is not able to be absorbed, it works by drawing water back into the bowels. It is not meant to be used without medical advice, but when a baby has severe constipation, there are VERY safe medical options and there is no reason for the poor baby to suffer.

I don't know if your baby's constipation is as bad as mine was, but if it is, I would advise getting a medical opinion. For my daughter the change was amazing - she was in constant daily pain before and now she is completely normal in that area :)

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

The best solution is to stop the solids for a couple of days and lots of breastfeeding. As Nicolejoy says, if it's really bad then a doctor but breastmilk should do the trick. Maybe go a bit slower on the solids when you start again, they don't really digest them for the first few months so it can be a lot for the little gut to cope with, also some babies find bananas particularly constipating so maybe avoid those.

Wingwing Nyanko is offline Registered User

My girl had suffered from this problem was she was 6m old too. We bring her to the doctor and was recommended lactose also. However, I tried to give her baby yogurt instead and it worked extremely well. Try giving the baby once a day and after the constipation is eased you may cut it down to once every 2 days and then twice a week. Can be consumed at large supermarkets.

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM