Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Shocking response from kindergarten.

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Shocking response from kindergarten.

Our 3YO had an interview at the kindergrten of an international school last month and yesterday when i called them to enquire abt the results, what i got to hear was extremely shocking and disappointing.
    The staff first asked me how i thought the interview went and frankly enough, we thought it was fantastic. She knew all the answers and during the 40-45 mnutes session, she chatted a lot with the teachers. And this is what i told the lady on phone yesterday. And then what she told me was surprising. She said the teachers gave her full marks for her knowledge, but thought she is too outgoing and independent, so she can be a bit defiant at times. They are looking for children who are more structured and will follow the instructions from the teachers well. So because of her nature, she is not a suitable match for the school. I spoke her teachers in her current school today morning about this and they said the class is lively because of her, and they just love her so much. Infact, i have also been a teacher and i would have also loved to have such active kids in class rather than a bunch of kids just sitting and waiting for the teacher to lead them all the time.
    This has really made us wonder what the schools expect from the kids.
    Just don't understand whether we should take this as a negative aspect in her behaviour or a good point.
    Don't know what to say.....

bagel is offline Registered User
    I am speechless. If this is the criteria, my son won't make the cut either. It is just one view point which is rather limiting and I suggest you dismiss it and consider that they did you a favor by revealing the true spirit of their teaching philosophy. You want to be amongst like-minded people so let the search for a compatible school continue. I would like to know the name of the school please, as I won't bother applying next year. Pray share.

reei is offline Registered User
    A blessing in disguise that your child didn't get into that kindergarten. It doesn't seems to suit your child's personality. This type of kindergarten, seems to want kids that will sit quietly and take in all input and neglect interaction and creativity aspects.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    ?????!!!! what kind of school would refuse a child because he is outgoing and independent !? Does this mean that their teatchers are only trained to care about shy, antisocial and dependent kids ?
    Hopefully you'll find another school who will recognise your child assets and will help her to blossom, instead of breaking her. Good thing for you they didn't accept her !

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    That is terrible. I too would like to know the name so I can avoid it.

Crayon is offline Registered User
    OMG. Do they want to make robots or something?!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    it's a blessing in disguise - they would have probably judged your daughter negatively because she didn't match the schools vision of what an ideal kid should be...not your lose - there's completely!

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Yes, on second thoughts, even we feel now that its a blessing in disguise. Its just not her personality to sit down and listen all the time to what the teacher (or anybody else) is saying. If we say a sentence , she will also contribute by saying another. Even she would have been selected, it would have been difiifcult for her to adjust in this evironment.