Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Kegel exercise and baby position

smile-ss is offline Registered User

Kegel exercise and baby position

Hello, I am 30 weeks pregnant with my first baby. The position of the baby is not yet fixed, sometimes head up sometimes transverse. I have noticed recently the baby moves away from the lower abdomen towards the navel area every time I am practicing Kegel exercise. Obviously she doesn't like the contraction of the pelvic floor muscle. Do other mothers or expected mothers have the same experience? Here are my concerns:

- Could Kegel exercise somehow discourage the baby to turn to the right position?
    - Once the baby is head down and ready for the birth, could Kegel exercise "push" the baby out of the pelvis accidentally?
    - Shall I still keep practicing Kegel exercise everyday?

I always believed Kegel is suitable for everyone and safe to be practiced everyday till the labor. Now I am confused...

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

No, no and yes. The baby is probably just moving as a natural reaction to movement, as you would if you were nudged, but at 30 weeks your baby is still likely to be changing positions often; many babies do not actually engage until labour has started. Kegel's can't push the baby out of the pelvis because you are only contracting the pelvic floor, not the uterus, although you may feel it there because of the size and the fact that your pelvic floor is supporting it.

And please do keep practicing them!!! As a runner who has had 2 big babies, I can tell you it is a bad idea not to do them.....

smile-ss is offline Registered User

Thanks a lot for the helpful information!! Now I have faith in Kegel exercise again.