Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Tinkerbell School is closing down in June!! WHAT TO DO!!!

babyjeans is offline Registered User

Tinkerbell School is closing down in June!! WHAT TO DO!!!

I just received a letter from my little one's school today, saying that they are forced to close down in June due to unreachable agreement with the landlords about rent increase... It's so frustrating, because she has only just started their nursery program there in January and she seems to be enjoying it a lot! Now I'm back to square one with school hunting again!!

Does anyone know if any local kindergarten take students with no Cantonese background? We speak English and Mandarin only. I'd love for her to learn some Chinese whilst we're here, but international schools are just way too costly to even consider. There seem to be so few options around...

We live in Jardine's Lookout. So would prefer to find a school in the neighborhood area. Would be great if someone can give me a pointer on where to start looking...

wegetable is offline Registered User

Have you tried Bambino English Playschool upstairs on the 4th floor? I signed my two kids up there for Nursery and kindergarten class in Feb. and they are taught by native English speakers. Also 2 days a week Mandarin option is available (at least when I signed up, it could be full now, not sure). The kids all speak English pretty as well as I can see, some of the kids attend local nursery in the morning and Bambino in the afternoon. Bambino is cheaper than Tinkerbell

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User

Have you looked at the Kindergarten above International Supermarket up there? I have not experienced it myself but told it is quite good. Not sure if it had waiting lists though.

slamdunk is offline Registered User

Ling Nan takes lots of non-cantonese speaking kids and its not too far from you. 100% cantonese.

babyjeans is offline Registered User

Thanks moms!

What is the name of the Kindergarten above International Supermarket? You mean in Jardine's Lookout?

ricar_t is offline Registered User

wegetable : Bambino English Playschool is it good ? and how much for the school fees and any others extras expenses for each term ?
    As u said option Mandarin class any extras charges or the school fees already including ?
    Actually i am looking for the pre-Nursery for my son he will be 2 yrs old coming Nov. i would like the get more information at the moment. and would like to know if my son starting pre-Nursery this Dec or coming Jan 2012. is that a bit early to sign up right now ? And the kindergarten they are running 2 or 3 yrs programs ? and what kind of the primary school will be going to ? ESF or any others ?

wegetable is offline Registered User

Bambino classes are taught by native English speakers. I don't know if they have pre-nursery class, call and find out. My youngest son started the class at 2 ish and my eldest is in the 4 years old class now. They have one K3 class that caters 5/6 years old. Couple kids went to French International, maybe because they are French Tutition normally $2,200 but I pay $2,400 now because the Mandarin lesson. Normally kids go to school half day 5 times a week but for mine goes 4 days English and 1 day Mandarin. My kids used to do one hour Mandarin only and slowly they will do 2 days a week, the school said it is better to ease them in which I agree. A lot of Tinkerbell parents already call Bambino so I don't know how long is the waiting list now, you best call and find out. Bambino is not academic as other international kindergartens but if you want your kids in small class, have fun and learn something along the way, it may not be a bad solution until she find a regular school. There is another kindergarten called "The Starters" on Queen's Road East in Wan Chai, most of their students go to ESF and they have school bus services, tuition is very reasonable, check their website out. Go to visit the schools first to look at their facilities, you will have a easier time making your decision.

ricar_t is offline Registered User

thx for ur reply ~ i will go there to have a look ^^

Quote Originally Posted by wegetable View Post
    Bambino classes are taught by native English speakers. I don't know if they have pre-nursery class, call and find out. My youngest son started the class at 2 ish and my eldest is in the 4 years old class now. They have one K3 class that caters 5/6 years old. Couple kids went to French International, maybe because they are French Tutition normally $2,200 but I pay $2,400 now because the Mandarin lesson. Normally kids go to school half day 5 times a week but for mine goes 4 days English and 1 day Mandarin. My kids used to do one hour Mandarin only and slowly they will do 2 days a week, the school said it is better to ease them in which I agree. A lot of Tinkerbell parents already call Bambino so I don't know how long is the waiting list now, you best call and find out. Bambino is not academic as other international kindergartens but if you want your kids in small class, have fun and learn something along the way, it may not be a bad solution until she find a regular school. There is another kindergarten called "The Starters" on Queen's Road East in Wan Chai, most of their students go to ESF and they have school bus services, tuition is very reasonable, check their website out. Go to visit the schools first to look at their facilities, you will have a easier time making your decision.