Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pedicure - because I am pregnant they didn't want my business!

Violet A is offline Registered User

Pedicure - because I am pregnant they didn't want my business!

Hi all

Thought this was crazy - I went to my local beauty salon (in Quarry Bay) to get some much needed pedi (I am 35 weeks pregnant) - and they refused me saying because they care about me, I cannot get a pedi!! What da????!!

Anyway, I was just gobsmacked and was wondering if this has happened to other pregnant ladies!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

There's supposed to be a spot on the foot (I think near the heel) that according to acupressure/reflexology/acupuncture is supposed to stimulate contractions and it's thought it could cause miscarriage - I don't really think it would ever cause a healthy pregnancy to miscarrry, but that would be what they are afraid of.

A good massage place with properly trained staff will still give you a massage and just avoid that spot, in a pedicure place they can just avoid any massage at all if they are unsure. I had pedi's throughout my pregnancy without a problem!

(Another worry people have is about the fumes from the nail varnish remover if the place isn't well ventilated but it's generally thought that's not a worry for the brief time you would be in there, people still work in spas when they're pregnant after all!)

carang is offline Registered User

varicose veins can also be a contra-indication....

BabyG is offline Registered User

You could get your nails done without getting a scrub and massage =)

elle is offline Registered User

i had pedicures all the way through, including foot scrub and massages, no issues. a friend of mine (about 30 weeks right now) goes to Happy Foot in both Happy Valley and Central for regular foot massages and pedicures, and they are very nice to her.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

I wanted to have a facial when I was 8 weeks pregnant and the salon wouldn't do it within three months. Apparently they said the aromatherapy in their treatments could be harmful. They did offer me a pedicure instead though!

banane76 is offline Registered User

Some aromatherapy can be dangerous for a pregnancy and there are reflex points around the ankle to avoid, but a pedi is usually ok. I'm a massage therapist and I avoid any deep pressure around the ankles. Varicose veins also requires some caution, but maybe they were being overly cautious to protect you because they weren't sure what they were doing. Go somewhere that is confident or has experience and you'll be fine. Iyara in central is really nice or Feel Good Factor.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

A lot of places in Hong Kong won't touch you if you're pregnant--some of it is legitimate caution (pressure points etc.) but some of it is just that they don't understand what is actually safe and unsafe in pregnancy--or they believe a lot of old wives tales about pregnancy. They would rather not risk it. For example, where I work, a lot of my colleagues refuse to let me use scissors because they honestly believe (because of a Chinese old wives tale) that if you use scissors when you're pregnant this will cause your child to have a cleft palate. There's a lot of this floating around in HK. Just go to another place that knows how to handle pregnant women. The first massage place I had wanted to go to while I was pregnant required all of these exams and notes faxed to them from my doctor but I simply found a different place that didn't give me such a hassle and have been enjoying weekly 2-hour long massages for the past 2 or 3 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast