Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Painful knees after delivery - anyone else?

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Painful knees after delivery - anyone else?

Hi, I gave birth 14 weeks ago and I have started doing exercise again over the past month. I'm doing regular exercise - trying to do some aerobic exercise every day - but not too intensely as only doing between 15 and 40 minutes each day.

The problem is that I am having a lot of knee pain. Doesn't seem to go away. Both knees. I did regular exercise before I became pregnant and throughout my pregnancy and never had this problem.

Does anyone know if this is common after delivery and will go away, or is it likely an unrelated problem that is here to stay?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I have no idea if this is a common problem but after I gave birth to my son, I had almost arthritic knees for several months--just walking up stairs hurt incredibly. Eventually the pain went away on its own. If I have the same problem again after the birth of the child I'm carrying now, I plan to take glucosamine and MSM to help.

rani is offline Administrator
    A friend had the same problem and went to see a chiropractor. She felt much better after a few sessions.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Might add that visits to the chiro after pregnancy were a really good thing for me but...they didn't do anything to fix the knee problem--it was more of an internal joint swelling problem than anything, I think--just took time for the fluid to decrease and things to operate well again. But, the chiro was really helpful for my lower back.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your replies. Glad it seems to be related to pregnancy and birth then. Was thinking of seeing a physio but may see a chiropractor too.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Check out an osteopath as well. I prefer over physio and chiro now after experiences with a lot of rehab. I think the knees thing is related to pregnancy/birth. I do remember having that issue after I had my baby last time. Maybe hormonal related. I can highly recommend Philip Clarke at Balance Health and also Alessio Savona or Jonine Nash at Sutherland-Chan Centre. I'm a massage therapist and have experience referring and being treated by all three.