Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Rejected by KJS: what to do now

carang is offline Registered User
    i was refering to your remark regarding the use of cantonese as the teaching medium of local schools. your implication was that it was the ONLY language being used, which is simply not the case. you don't even entertain the option of an EMI school or a school that is designated for non-chinese speaking students. this caused me to believe that you didn't actually have any experience of the local system and were merely making assumptions about it.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Ha! When most children go for their kindergarten interview they are barely 2-years-old. Our son was actually 1-year, 11-months-old when he went for his "interview." It's hard to fathom that age (or even him now at 3-years-old) being anything but "over active."

But, personally, as a teacher myself, I find that most local children are much too docile. The active ones are usually the more engaged and actually (and I'll get flack for saying this) "more intelligent" ones. The reason why the schools want docile children is understandable--if they're going to pack their classrooms to the brim with kids it's so much easier to control the situation if those kids act similarly to little robots.

I went for a parent-teacher conference at the end of the past term and my son's kindergarten teacher first said to me, "Wow! Your son communicates so well in both Cantonese and English. How is that possible?" (I guess she didn't realize we speak both languages a lot at home). The next comment she had is, "He is so active! Sometimes he just doesn't want to focus on some subjects."

I had previously heard a story from another school staff member about how the K1 students were taken for a tour of the principal's office and all the other kids just stood there silently while the principal talked and of course, my son was pointing out all the cool objects in the room and asking questions about them--the local teachers didn't quite know what to make of that. To me, I am quite proud of the fact that my son was interested and asking questions! Maybe not interested in what he was "supposed to be interested in" (a boring adult rattling on...) but...

So, whenever someone mentions about how "over active" my son is, my internal response was, "Well, that's not really his fault, now is it? If you'd provide more relevant and stimulating activities you wouldn't have that problem." My son gets great marks for his manners and empathy toward other children and adults at school so I will never fault him for being engaged in the world and wanting to touch and learn even if that gets him labeled "over active."

My view is that any school that would reject him for being "over active" is a school that's losing out on a star pupil.
    Love everything about this response!

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Completely agree with thanka2.

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    Hi All,

I hope you do remember my posts above.
    I am now thinking to let my daughter repeat K2 and then apply for an ESF admission again this year.
    Will ESF let 2006 born students to apply for P1 addmission in September this year? What do you say??
    She was born on 24 Nov 2006 so just 5 weeks before the cutoff. I think delaying her admission 1 year is OK for me, as long as the ESF people let me apply again this year

do you think its possible? had anyone else done that?

I was thinking to let her goto ESF Kindergarten for this year (again depending on if they admit her in K2 this year?) what do u say?
    thanks a lot

AFAIK, they will not interview her again for P1, rather for P2.... they seem to be a little on the "anal retentive" side of things when it comes to dates, cut-offs etc. (not just esf, but most of the schools i've dealt with here....)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    If you apply this September, they'll consider her as a Y2 candidate. I have a friend whose son got deferred (born December 2006), and the school (CWB in this occassion) offered her the option (he did pass the interview), she chose deferral and he's guaranteed a spot already for next year in Y1. I also know children who are repeating Y1 at different schools. If she got rejected this year at KJS, it could even be different (she would have to pass first in order to even get a spot regardless of class). You have to talk to ESF and the particular school (the reason of deferral, etc.) but you cannot automatically assume you can try again for Y1. It doesn't work like that, although I know different schools that have been fairly flexible.

oh, that's great to know! thanks for the info, mommyto3!

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    hmmm Ok, we will discuss with the school again. thanks a lot.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast