Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Rejected by KJS: what to do now

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    Hi MommyTo3/All,

She was rejected mostly because 1. she went to a local kindergarten and also a lot of people had applied for KJS.
    I have seen some of my friend's children who are not that fluent in english but goto PIPS or sunshine and they have passed the interview. From her school, only 1 girl got it and she is a PR (and does not speak cantanoese).

So I still strongly believe that she did not do that bad in the interview. we are still OK to let her repeate and get into Y1 next year. Do you think ESF would consider this when she has supposedly "failed" the interview? I know given that KJS has children with siblings etc on the waiting list, it will be next to impossible to get admission in Y2. Also they told me she is #50 on the waitinglist now and will be re-interviewed when the slot opens up.

pls can you suggest what do we do now. I also cant easily afford all those others international schools with 10k hk$ fees. esf would be an ideal setup for us

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I am no expert. I purely speaking from personal experiences. I personally know people who have repeated Y1 and I know about this deferral case (the child is in ESF Kindy already and will repeat K2). I would suggest you talk to KJS and possibly ESF. Do they think she's too young and better off starting next year? As long as they don't see any need, it's not likely you'll get deferral, and she will be considered as a Y2 student next year (2012/2013). I am pretty sure there are other late-2006 born children who may be waitslisted and would possibly accept starting a year later just to get spots, know what I mean. Number 50 doesn't sound too hopeful. I have a friend with her daughter in the top 25, and they told her it's unlikely to get offered a spot. Also, as she's in a local KG, she is a Cantonese speaker so as a Cat. 2 chances would be slim to none, however, this may be slightly different at Kowloon schools. I still know many many Cat. 1 (even native speakers) without confirmed spots, some probably won't get an offer before the year starts.

However next school year doesn't look much better as birth numbers are still rising and 2007 was also the year of the pig (if I am not mistaken, so things may only get worse). You need to get it sorted right now by talking to them about your specific "case", otherwise I would expect chances to be slim, but that's just a guess from what I have personally experienced (mostly at HKI-based ESF schools). Also I don't know much about KJS.
    Last edited by MommyTo3; 05-09-2011 at 09:26 PM.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    I think you have to be VERY realistic about your options.
    KJS has become one of the MOST oversubscribed schools. It was worse than Discovery College ie application/space ratio. DC is notoriously oversubscribed too. I don't know any Category 2 student not from ESF (and with a sibling) getting in. Even if you repeated K2. If your child is one of the older ones, you don't stand a good chance to get in as priority for interviews goes to kids who attended K1 there (and your child is overaged).

My impression of ESF is that they are very much age-oriented (unless the child is too young). Have never heard of the reverse. I know kids who attended ESF (both years) and with siblings repeating because they are too young and are simply repeating K2 there to get in the following year. They get the priority as they've passed the interview.

Next year is definitely worse. So honestly, look for alternatives. Delia School of Canada (Tsing Yi) is looking more and more diversed... there are lots of European kids going there. Why don't you give them a go?

You can give it a go but be very realistic. Your case is already not a norm. When there are so many applications that are 'normal', you are already swimming against a growing tide.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    thanks all.
    i do realize that it would be VERY difficult for my child to get into ESF now. its frustrating but I know its the reality.
    repeating a year was an idea given to me by a friend, so i thought i would share it here and get some feedback.
    I am going to talk to the KJS people to discuss my kid's case.

about delia in tsing yi, i think its not delia school of canada but its delia english primary school. a localized english primary school from the same family of schools. i read nto so good reviews about it online. please can anybody give some first hand info/feedback about delia english primary school. it repuate, studies and quality of students.

my child is #15 on waiting list in Lantau international school too (we live in tung chung so the location is convenient). any feedback on this school?

what I am planning is that instead of trying to get into some of the other internation/private schools this year, i would shift her to sunshine kindergarten for the K3/P1 class starting sept 2011. that gives us 1 year to try and figure out what to do for schooling. but the -ve side i sthat she will apply in Y2 in most of the schools next year which might make admission a little difficult. but the1 year does give us time to think and plan about schooling. do you think its a wise decision?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567