Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newborn won't sleep!!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Newborn won't sleep!!

My second is 5 weeks old. Ever since about 3 weeks, she has been a terrible daytime sleeper, just like her brother at that age. It's the exact same thing all over again. She is exclusively breastfed and has worked out already that she needs to suck to sleep. Of course, as soon as I put her down, her eyes open within minutes. But if I'm holding her, she's happy to sleep, until I put her down. She is awake most of the day except for tiny catnaps. At nighttime she's ok, sleeping 3-4.5 hrs at a time.
    I can't believe I'm going through the same thing again. But this time I don't have the time to spend on 'training' her as I'm still in survival mode with the two of them around.
    Any ideas? I thought I would feel a bit more experienced this time around. I feel like a newbie all over again.

sea princess is offline Registered User

Oh no, not again. I remeber your posts from a few years back. Poor you.
    I dont know what advice to offer other than remembering to be consistent and stick it out. Hopefully number two will get the hang of it after some time, he/she is only 5 weeks afterall.
    My first was like yours and I dreaded having a second. However, after some time and patience, she's a good sleeper on the whole.
    Just a few hints:-
    1. swaddle tight
    2. Try to read the tired signs early so they're not overtired. My first was a screamer, my second starts to jerk a bit when she's tired.
    3. Put them down when they are very relaxed and sleepy. I could never put mine down totally awake.
    4. Make sure the room is dark and quiet.
    Having said all that, I really believe how good a baby sleeps has a lot to do with the child's personality. My first was a 'mummy's girl' only, a cryer, easily irritated. she is still like that to this date!
    Good luck.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Hi Shenzhennifer, congrats on you new baby!

If you don't have time training her right now, you may try putting her down (really slowly) when she is in deep sleep. Another option is for you to breastfeed her on the lying position on your bed. When the baby is asleep, you can just roll to the other side of the bed and leave.

Good luck!

carang is offline Registered User

have you tried a pacifier? my daughter would not sleep well at all and would suck constantly if allowed. i introduce the pacifier when she was 4 days old and then i was finally able to sleep. she spat it out a few times to start with, but i was persistant and it worked wonders.

my son, on the other hand, hated it and never used anything.

Biggie is offline Registered User

Maybe she doesn't need to nap a lot during the day. My second baby (now 2.5mth) doesn't take long naps during the day one hour max each time. I think he got enough rest while breastfeeding. establishing a consistent nap schedule helps, as does putting him in a quiet dark room away from my toddler.
    Good luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User

would try feeding in the lying down position...or else, just not worrying too much about naps - my 9mth old only slept 20mins today and has been up since 8am...last night she slept 11 1/2 hours...don't know if that's enough or not for her - but she seems to be a happy camper so i'm not too worried. She DOES however need a pacifier to sleep - so i just give it to her...beats fighting with her to sleep. also, when she's not tired i don't force a nap on her - i've tried several times today - thinking she "should" be tired - guess not...she would always pop up after i put her down and start smiling at me.

good luck!

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User

Sadly I don't have a miracle answer other than try not to worry about it too much she is only 5 weeks old and no routine and short naps even being held may just work for her.

My first was a GF baby and had a fairly rigid schedule (I didnt follow it precisely and adapted it) and had a 2hour lunch nap every day from a very young age plus one morning and one afternoon nap. With my second (and no helper) it was just not possible to have such a structured routine. He gets dragged around on the school run etc etc and just today when I achieved getting him to have a nap in his cot my toddler runs into his room 10 minutes later and screams "wakey wakey little man its not sleeping time now!".

Like others have said try letting her nap when she wants/needs it, my son (now 4.5months) has several shorter naps, sometimes only 15minutes sometimes 45minutes, but usually while I am carrying him at the playground or in the car, rarely if ever in his cot and only then if I have fed him to sleep and managed to slowly place him in there, most tiems he then wakes u, I have even put him in the baby bjorn at home so he can sleep!

The only routine he has is that I try to make sure he has had enough sleep before 5pm so that I then keep him awake from 5 for feed, play, bath, feed and bed by 7. Some nights he sleeps 7-6 other times he wakes about4 for a feed. I have decided that as long as at night he is happy sleeping on his own then we just take each day as it comes.

Sorry for rambling post, hope it makes some sense. Now if only my 3 year old would sleep!!!!!

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Sounds like she may be one of those babies who loves to be worn. But, I know you're not big on baby wearing. I'm not either but I've decided that I'm going to give it a try this time around and see if it helps save my sanity a bit. We'll have to see on that one. Also, seems like she's one of those really alert babies--not one of the "sleepy newborns" that when my son was born everyone assured most babies are (but, since my son wasn't, I still think they must be "mythical creatures"). When she wakes up is she upset or is it more like she just wants to interact and be entertained? But, hey, it's pretty cool that she's at least sleeping a bit at night--better than nothing. How well is your 2-year-old doing with sleep and naps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)