Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wake the baby for feeding?

deasy_h is offline Registered User

Wake the baby for feeding?

Hi all,
    My baby is 3 weeks old and she had jaundice earlier. So I tend to breastfeed her every 2-3 hour so that she'll pass out "enough" stool & urine. And the jaundice made her really sleepy so I have to wake her up for feeding. But now, as she's growing, do I still have to do that? The nurse said that during day time, I should wake her up if she has slept for more than 3 hours. But no need to wake her at night time.
    Has anyone had the same experience?

& how many times should the baby pass out stool & urine?
    I spend about 12-15 diapers per day. Mostly my baby passes stool at each diaper changing (sometimes only small amount though).

Thanks.

alfa is offline Registered User
    Sounds like she is on a right track. When I left the houspital I got a n urine/stool chart to fill for the first couple of weeks. 12- 15 diapers is plenty. I had a sleepy baby and had to force her to wake up for the first month - I didn't bother at night. Sleep feed at 11pm and then 5 am. after that every 3 hours.
    Hope this helps

matemate is offline Registered User
    i would let nature take place, i.e. not wake up. some babies are more sleepy by nature than others so i dont see how interfering with that helps

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If you're worried, try to get her weighed monthly or so just to make sure that she is on her own consistent growth curve. If she is, there's no need to wake her for feedings. Generally that's only necessary if the baby is not putting on weight, but it sounds as though your little one is doing fine :)

penelope is offline Registered User
    I think it depends of her weight.I had to wake up my twins until they reach 3.5kg(that s what the pediatrician told me). But they were small to start with

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    I made sure my baby fed every three hours during the day. I had to wake him up for the first 6 weeks or so. Maybe even longer...

Another reason for doing it - other than ensuring enough nutrition overall - is to try to get your baby to take as much of their milk requirement during the day rather than at night. If your baby sleeps all day and doesn't eat much then s/he will want to make up for the nutrition she needs during the night. Having said that, my baby still had his days and nights mixed up for a very long time. Exhausting.

carang is offline Registered User
    both of my kids were small (under 2.5kg) and i NEVER, EVER woke them up. i always believed that if they were hungry, they'd wake up and they did. by 6 months my daughter went from the bottom 2% up to 95% in weight! my son has never eaten as much as my daughter and even now is probably below the 50% (he's six years old, 2 years older than his sister and she is only 2lbs lighter than he).

carey is offline Registered User
    I wonder about this too as I am re-learning about Bf to get ready for my second. I have another question that is sort of related to this one. If you have a sleepy baby, do you pump to build first and then maintain your supply? Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast