Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

chickpeas - recipes please

geomum is offline Registered User
    Try Vegetable and Chickpea fritters, delish!!!
    http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7033...ckpea+fritters

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Chickpeas are widely used in Indian and Middle Eastern dishes. Your best bet is to search recipe books and online websites offering that style of food for ideas. Besides chickpeas, there are different types of lentils and beans that are very cheap, tasty and nutritious that you can try. I usually get the dried beans and lentils as they are very cheap. The tinned variety is more expensive. Boiling them in a heavy pot is fine but can take 1-2 hours, so I like my pressure cooker. As long as the dishes are not heavily spiced, babies and toddlers can have them. It also exposes them to different tastes/cuisines and makes them more open to trying world cuisine!

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Agree with Lisa88; my kids love lentils and i have found even when they are going through an anti vege stage they will always eat veg and lentil soup or one of our great winter standbys, vegetarian shepherds pie, using lentils rather than mince. Can use green or red but the green stay whole and give a more solid consistency. I will add in whatever veges we have to hand, but usually celery, onion, carrot, mushrooms and tomatoes as a minimum. Great for the whole family, super tasty and cheap. Can use sweet potato as an alternative topping to potato for a change.
    They both also like chick peas and agree they can be a great snack for them.

samali is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stimemum View Post
    samali, do you have to mash the chickpeas in the Chaat recipe or its mixed in whole? little one likes yogurt and this sounds interesting.

lisa88 and samali, i dont have a pressure cooker but if i do ever buy dried chickpeas (much cheaper than the canned) can just boiling it in water to the trick?
    1stimemum, yes you can crush the chickpeas abnd to yogurt.
    As cherina said you have to soak chickpeas in water overnight then boil untill soft.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Or simply add them to your salad :)

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    wow so many great ideas and frankly as i've never been much exposed to chickpeas in my regular food diet, this is an eye opener. I made hummus today (it was the easiest start and i figured the soft text would be easier for him to take in)

it was good, he ate it and didnt seem to have an taste aversions but he likes crispy textures (toast, biscuits) so i definitely had to do a lot of the normal coaxing.

i love the idea of stews and will definitely try it next week!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12