Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

chickpeas - recipes please

1stimemum is offline Registered User

chickpeas - recipes please

hi mums, i bought a can of organic chick peas last week, seemed like a good idea. I'm trying to give my 14mth old more variety and thought chickpeas were a good source of protein but I'm stumped. Never cooked it before so totally clueless...

searched annebelkarmel's website but nothing came up.

any ideas or links i can turn to?

thanks mums.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all?inclingre=4597

There is even a recipie for chocolate chip cookies with chickpeas ! if you try, let me know ;)

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    You can make hummus with chickpeas but I don't know all the ingredients. You could try giving them to her plain. It took a couple of attempts, but my daughter will eat them plain now. A good website for recipes is: allrecipes.com
    you can list ingrediants that you want and it will search for recipes. Good luck :)

thanks mums. Checking out all the recipes on the sites, will post how it goes! i have a feeling an awful lot is going to end up on the floor though, he's not patient with food.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    I put chickpeas in minestrone. Have been doing so since my toddler was 1 and she still loves it. Lots of chopped up vegetables - carrot, celery, zucchini, onions, sliced bacon (optional), pasta, chickpeas in vegetable stock. Excellent for cold days. Instead of the tinned variety, I get the dried chickpeas from Indian shops. Soak them overnight and then cook them in the pressure cooker - quicker than boiling them up. Even those just cooked that way are excellent & nutricious snacks. My helper had lots of curious questions from Hongkongers and their helpers when my baby was snacking on chick peas - "What's that??"

samali is offline Registered User
    Chickpeas is cooked with rice or can be made in a curry or can be put in salad which is called chaat in indian/pakistani cuisine.Chaat is yogurt+tomatoes+onions+boiled potatoes+chickpeas and some salt and pepper.its yummy

samali, do you have to mash the chickpeas in the Chaat recipe or its mixed in whole? little one likes yogurt and this sounds interesting.

lisa88 and samali, i dont have a pressure cooker but if i do ever buy dried chickpeas (much cheaper than the canned) can just boiling it in water to the trick?

Cherina is offline Registered User
    Chickpea and tomato curry is really good and is a great store cupboard standby if you use canned chickpeas and a can of chopped tomatoes.
    For hummus you just blend chickpeas with garlic, lemon, tahini, olive oil and salt and pepper. You can vary by adding some roasted red pepper or caramelised onion.

Dried chickpeas give a better texture than canned. Soak overnight then change the water and fast boil for 10 mins then reduce the heat and simmer until they're done (cooking time depends on the age/size of the dried peas). Don't put any salt in with the water because it will toughen them. Whilst they're cooking you can skim off any scum that appears on the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast