Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DMK or Sunshine House Kindergarten in Discovery Bay?

cathryn is offline Registered User

DMK or Sunshine House Kindergarten in Discovery Bay?

I am moving to DB in May so I am now trying to decide which kindergarten to sign my son up to. It is between DMK or Sunshine House. I am leaning towards Sunshine House just because they can offer me morning sessions which I would prefer.

But if anyone can tell me any good and bad points on both, any experiences you have had that would be great.

Thanks alot

joycetantan is offline Registered User
    Hi Cathryn. Welcome to DB!!! My son is going to dmk in sep. The reason that we chose dmk is they offer bilingual class(eng&mandarin 50/50) while sunshine house only has 20 mins per day mandarin time. Also heard from my friends that dmk more focus on the knowledge learning than sunshine house. As well, when we visited these two places , we had better feeling in dmk than the other one. So we chose dmk although only pm.
    Hope this would help you somehow. Good luck !!
    Joyce

HappyV is offline Registered User
    Sunshine House always has problems with staff turnover - and while this is endemic in HK KG classes, I would suggest you find out how long each staff member has been at that particular campus.
    Also, the fact that Sunshine House can give you am classes should tell you something - that DMK is more in demand.
    I would second everything the PP said: I would go for DMK.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I have no experience with DB but my oldest went to Sunshine elsewhere (I wanted primarily English for her) and just wanted to say that Sunshine seems to have good relationships with ESF if that would matter to you. Not sure if it's the same at DB. Also no major staff issues at our school. Still same teachers in my daughters old class 2-3 years later. Very smooth transition into ESF (very well prepared).
    Posted via Mobile Device

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    My son is going to DMK in August. He is at the DMK Playgroup and I really like their teaching style and structure. Have done the tour at DMK kindy and looks ok (Coastline location a bit incovenient for us but they have a bus). They do have a reputation for being more academic which is a downside for me with kids this young (just want them to have fun) so will have to see how it does but am happy with our choice at this stage.

cathryn is offline Registered User
    Thanks everyone for your comments and although DMK does seem like it might be better I just dont think I can do it to my son at the moment, he still needs a sleep every day and I would just feel guilty taking that away from him. So I think I will start him at Sunshine and then maybe change him later on when he isnt needing the sleep so much.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I can completely understand. I was hanging out for a morning class too as my son still has a lunchtime nap. Have you tried the new Montessori school at DB North? They may still have a morning class free. I was not keen on the style for my son when he was 2.5 (I wanted him to have cars and toys to play with - not just wooden puzzles) but would probably be ok for an older child of kindy age.

walnut is offline Registered User
    Have had children at both Sunshine House and DMK. WE initially chose Sunshine House when moved to DB 2 years ago as had attended in Pokfulam and it was excellent. However in DB was awful. Huge classes, high turn over of teaching staff (my 3 year old had 3 different teachers and 3 different support teachers in 9 months!!) as well as children. Neither boy enjoyed the environment or experience and we switched them to DMK biligual initially in afternoon and then in mornings. Much happier. Is quiet environment, same staff, smaller classes with less changes in students. Academically is much stronger as were well behind coming from Sunshune House. Always had the feeling at Sunshine that was about money rather than kids. My eldest now in K3 as no P1 school place and have option for P2 as well which is a P1/P2 standard British curriculum unlike Sunshine House. Would strongly recommend DMK once you have a place compatible with sleeping. You could keep him on the morning waiting list at DMK just in case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast