Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Doctors at Queen Mary and elective C-Section

cxflygirl is offline Registered User

Doctors at Queen Mary and elective C-Section

Hi I was wondering if anyone can share with me there experience at Queen Mary. I do not have insurance this time so I was thinking of going public but heard of lots of terrible stories. I had an emergency C-Section with baby # 1 and planning to have an elective c-section with baby # 2. My question is.

1. Can you choose a doctor at Queen Mary if so who would you recommend?
    2. Can you opt to have an elective c-section at QM if the first was an emergency?
    3. I heard they have private wards at QM can you book in advance?

Planning contigency since Matilda bill cost me close to HK$200,000 for baby # 1

geomum is offline Registered User
    1. NO
    2. NO, it is the doctor who decides what is best/ absolutely necessary.
    3. Do you mean Private ward or Private room? A ward cannot be Private as it is shared with 6 or 8 other mums. Private rooms are hard to get because of high demand. Don't know if they can be booked in advance though.
    Good luck!!!

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    As Geo Mum said no you won't be able to choose the doctor at Queen Mary, you will get who ever is scheduled to work on the day. If you are looking at private rooms they can work out to be the same as Matilda so it's not worth it if you are trying to save money. They will charge everything out at private rates - operation and daily fees etc.

As for the c-section, as you have already had one they will discuss options with you and give you information of having another c-section and VBAC. I am having baby number two at Pamela Youde in Chai Wan, number 1 was an emergency C-section and they have said I have until I am 34 weeks to decide on the direction I would like to take. The doctors I have seen so far have said it is my decision as they will not make me do a VBAC if I don't want to. So you should find that Queen Mary has a similar policy.

HappyNatali is offline Registered User
    I had my #1 at Queen Mary by emergency C-section. With #2 I did antenatal check up once, they discuss the options with me and actually offered elective C-section! So probably they won't force you to natural birth unless that's your choice.
    Overall experience was good with Queen Mary but for personal reasons we finally had #2 at Hong Kong Sanatorium.
    If you want to choose doctors and had private room, you have to register as private case. All your antenatal checkup, surgeons' fee etc will be charged and the money you are going to spend won't be too different from Matilda. Given the high demand in this locality, you might need to register early even if you choose to be seen as private case.
    Welcome to pm me if you need more info.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you can register as a private patient with QMH with a referral from your OBGYN. Dr CP Lee is who I was recommended for baby #2, but when she told me she would be on holiday during my due date, I switched to another doctor / hospital for personal reasons. The cost ot QMH private would amount to the same as that of other private hospitals - so you don't save much as a private patient. you'd save as a public patient only but then you'd get whoever is on duty to deliver...that's fine for some - QMH does have the best medical facilities (better than Matilda) for the baby.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I don't know if private room will be as expensive as having it at Matilda, but you could probably find out pretty easy. However, that means everything is private though from what I hear. Don't usually get to choose your doctor through public system.

cxflygirl is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the reply.