Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Leaking amniotic fluid?

Gracey is offline Registered User

Leaking amniotic fluid?

Well, ladies. (And the odd gentleman.) After scary bleeding and a hole between my womb and uterus, and I have yet another pregnancy complication.
    Warning -- a little graphic. So don't read it you're sensitive to "too much information."
    I was walking down the hallway -- of my flat, thank God, not my office -- and a huge amount of water came out. It wasn't one of those trickles I hear about, when a heavily pregnant woman sneezes and pees a little on herself. It was a sudden gush that ran all the way down my leg, past my knee.
    I rushed to the bathroom to wipe it up and it did not look like urine. It was totally clear.
    Stupid me. I thought it was nothing since, at least, it wasn't blood like my past 2 "threatened miscarriages." I thought I'd call the clinic anyway.
    The nurse told me to come in RIGHT AWAY. I was so dumb, I even asked if I could wait a day because of my work schedule. And she was like NO. They even let me jump the queue when I got there.
    Turns out they were worried that my amniotic sac had burst. The scan shows that I still have plenty of fluid left and there is no hole -- which is good -- but there's no proof one way or the other. I did not think to bring in a sample of the fluid -- I flushed it down the toilet.
    So now I'm on antibiotics, bed rest and lots of water -- and a grueling wait until they can scan my amniotic sac again in two days. (They're closed for the weekend).
    Anyone else go through this?
    I know this sounds silly, but now I'm really hoping it was just pee. Though, at only 4 months, it's not like I'm heavy enough to be putting pressure on my bladder. I've only gained about 3 kilos.
    Wish me luck.

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    Hi Gracey,
    I haven't experienced this, but it sounds really scary! Hang in there! Hope you get some answers when you go back in! That's good news they didn't actually see a big old hole though, right? Geez, pregnancy sure makes us on edge though huh? I had bleeding too in the first trimester and was on bedrest for a couple weeks. I was so anxious! Once you get to four months, you feel like you can finally relax a little bit, but... the surprises keep on coming! Praying for you! Listen to some really calming music- that was one of the only things that helped me relax.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Did they look at your cervix and make you cough to see if any more fluid came out? HAS any more fluid come out since this time? How far along are you? You could have had what's called "premature rupture of membranes" (ie, waters breaking without labour starting).

With my first, I had PROM at 39 weeks and so they induced me to prevent infection to the baby. If PROM happens early, it can lead to premature labour so every effort needs to be made to keep the baby cooking for as long as possible, including bedrest - plus the antibiotics to prevent infection as well.

I have heard of membrane leaks "healing" and the fluid stopped coming out - although I heard that was my friend's experience rather than hearing from a doctor so I'm not 100% sure about whether it's true or not.

I hope that all is well with your membranes and that your baby can stay in there until he/she's grown enough to meet the world :)

(edited in - I just saw that you're only 4 months along! I hope that it wasn't really PROM and that your little one can stay in there for at least another 4 months!!)

Hi guys, Thanks for the kind wishes.
    NicoleJoy -- You're right. The doctor said that if it is amniotic fluid, and if I was much later on in pregnancy, there would be a chance. But there's not much you can do if you're only 4 months. Pregnancy makes you feel very helpless.
    I have to give it to Baptist pre-natal care, though. They rushed me in there, got me a last-minute appointment, did a scan right away and checked my cervix (yes, I did a "cough test"). But it's still inconclusive. I'm waiting with baited breath for my scan tomorrow.

Tsubasa -- I know. It's so stressful. The funny thing is that I wasn't a naturally anxious person before fertility treatments and pregnancy. I was pretty relaxed. Now I'm a mess!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Well it's a good sign that no more fluid was coming out in the cough test! Please let us know how your appointment goes today... I do have another friend who had that kind of experience and the doctors said that since the fluid wasn't coming out any more, it was most probably pee and she didn't realise it...

bridiemexico is offline Registered User
    I had premature rupture of membranes on one of my twins at 22 weeks and kept leaking fluid till I went into labour at 32 weeks. If it is amniotic fluid the only thing you can do right now is sit tight and try to avoid infection. Thinking of you as I know how stressful it is. Keep us updated.

Hello friends,
    Thanks for all your concern. It now looks like it was just a scare. They're still not sure what the fluid was, but at least it's not amniotic fluid. The sac is still there, and tests for infections all came back negative.
    So phew. And boy am I glad to be off bed rest!
    In a month, though, I'm still going to have to be tested. But I feel relieved.
    Thanks again!

taysty is offline Registered User
    Great to hear that. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device