Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

3month old still won't sleep

charade is offline Registered User
    My son had similar gas issues... and also reflux but luckily he grew out of it before he was three months, and also he alway slept at night (thank god) but was a bad napper during the day. Anyway, he had some funny poos so we took him in to the doctor and she asked how often we were feeding him. I couldn't say since I was feeding on demand. She suggested we try and space out the feeding to four hour gaps (well start with 3 hours) since he had crossed two months and was gaining weight well and feed him a little water in between if he cried too much. I was scandalised because I had read a) no water while breastfeeding b) feed on demand. But decided to give it a shot. Strangely, it wasn't that hard to do the scheduling... only the last hour was a little tough. But his tummy issues cleared up a lot. Her logic was that by constantly putting stuff into his system, it was getting overtaxed, with no time to rest. My point is, you could try holding him off with a little boiled nad filtered water at night...

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Curios, I had the same problem with my baby that he would never go back to sleep at night once he woke for a feed. When he was waking at 3:30 and 4:30 for a feed it was disastrous as I was then up until 5:30 or 6:30 when he got tired again and wanted to sleep. I tried co-sleeping for a while, bringing him into my bed to feed when he woke up in the night which worked better as I could doze, but the quality of my sleep was still pretty bad as every time he fell off my breast he'd wake up.

Anyway, I decided to try a sleep training book and it has worked really well. We always used to have to rock him to sleep before we put him in his cot but after following the book for just 3 days he goes to sleep on his own after just 5 or 10 minutes complaining. And also he goes to sleep after his night feed. The book recommendation is to wake him up around one hour before I think he will wake up himself. If I rouse him from sleep and feed him while he is still half asleep then he settles back down straight afterwards. I have done this for the past 3 nights, waking him at 2:30 to feed him, and he has gone down straight afterwards and slept through to 6am twice and 7am this morning.

Also the book says (as does my paediatrician) that at 4 months babies are physically capable of sleeping through the night so the waking is more habit than hunger (my paediatrician says by 2 months). I am in the process of weaning him off his night feed by dropping the duration of it by 2 minutes a night. I started on 12 minutes (his average night feed) and tonight will be 6 minutes. Seems to be going well so far (touch wood). Not sure how you would manage that though if your daughter is not eating during the day. Have you tried expressing and giving her breast milk in a bottle? This way you can be sure of how much she is getting and she may be inclined to drink more because it is much less work for her.

AudreysMom is offline Registered User
    Dr. Harvey Karp has a DVD and book called "The Happiest Baby on the Block" that has worked WONDERS for my daughter. I promise I am not affiliated with him. Try you tubing him to get an idea of his methods. It really works!

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Research shows that babies usually spend the first part of the night in deeper sleep, and the second part in much lighter sleep. So its quite normal for babies to wake up every sleep cycle during the second part of the night, often from 2 or 3 am onwards (note: a babies' sleep cycle is around 45 mins vs. 90 mins for adults). During these lighter phases of sleep there is much more blood-flow to the brain, which some baby sleep experts say is actually positive for development and nerve growth etc. Doesn't feel so positive for mama though at 3am, then 4am, then 5am!

So its up to every mama to decide whether to let this natural situation be, and pass on its own, or whether to implement some form of sleep training. I guess that mostly depends on circumstances and mama's sleep needs, especially if she is working.

I found the lack of sleep in the wee hours a bit distressing in the early weeks, but I didn't feel comfortable with trying any sleep training. So we then happily and cosily popped our little guy in bed with us. He still wakes in the wee hours but only very briefly, he just checks we are there, might have a quick feed, then back to sleep. We all get much more sleep this way! Co-sleeping (when done as per the safety guidelines) also reduces the risk of SIDS, this helped me to relax at night as I wasn't worrying about him. http://nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/

Good luck with whatever road you choose, and take comfort in the fact that when you're awake in the wee hours looking up at the moon, so many other mother's are looking up at the same moon too..

:)

mariaindb is offline Registered User
    I don't know about looking at the moon...usually I have my eyes closed!! My son was the perfect sleeper from day 1 (now nearly 3 years old), and apart from the first 3 months he's only ever woken us up during the night maybe 10 times!
    However....my daughter is now 11 months old and has only slept the entire night about 10 times! First she had gas/reflux issues. Then her first tooth came at 4 months, and they kept coming! Now she already has 12! Then when we started solids she wasn't taking in much during the day and resorted to eating at night! Just when you think you've got it all sorted, you get a really stormy night like last night (we live next to the sea) and she was awake again!!! I've decided she'll grow out of it when she's ready. I don't enjoy getting up nearly every night, but there's not much more I can do. And they're not babies for a long time. Soon WE'LL be the ones awake at night waiting for them to come home!

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hehe yep Mariaindb so true! Or we'll have to actually wake them up in the morning to get ready for school :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12