Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

3month old still won't sleep

curios is offline Registered User

3month old still won't sleep

My 3 month old still has very bad sleeping patterns. She is bf and formula fed during the day when and if I'm out. She seems to have a lot of gas and grunts, screams, pulls leg up during the night. She has 3x naps about 1 hour long and a 30 min cat nap before bed routine at 7. She can sleep 7 to 10 NO problem, it's after the night feed she goes hay wire.

She will wake up every hour or so grunting, pulling legs up etc, and I need to help her pass gas. She will eventually sleep once all the gas is out, but will get up again an hour later with the same thing.

I'm at my wits giving her gripe water, infacol, moving legs up and down, burping to get gas out, and getting very exhausted due to lack of sleep. Any advice? Getting really desperate.

Also have a whole lot of other sleeping issues /habits I need to break (ie rocking to sleep etc...) but I need to tackle it once this problem is resolved.

Thanks any positive advice would be appreciated.

sea princess is offline Registered User

Smile food snesitivity?

Hi
    Sounds like your little one is in pain to me? Could it be the formula - allergy or sensitivity to the protein? Or is it something you're eating and baby is irritated through breastfeeding? I would cut out reactive foods in my diet for a few days - and see if that makes a difference and the formula. Then introduce it and see if the symptoms are worse, no change etc. Lactose intolerance often gives gas and gripey pains. What's your LO's nappies like - smelly, runny, frequent, infrequent etc?

As for sleep, if your LO is uncomforatbe then it stands to reason he/she is looking for comfort to get to sleep and wakedsfrequently. Best to work on the pain issue first and then work on the sleep.

With the pain and gas, it may be also he/she is not feeding efficiently and consequently experiencing hunger pangs more often and sleeping less and settling less? Just a thought.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Our little man used to grunt a lot when he was a newborn. I thought it was gas, so I tried burping, infacol etc. But looking back now I don't think it was gas. At that stage he was sleeping next to our bed, and I think he was fretting, because as soon as I put him in bed snuggled up next to me he calmed right down. Now he sleeps in bed next to me and he sleeps well, and is much more calm and relaxed, even during the day! I know co-sleeping is not for everyone, but I think its very natural and nice for baby and mama. Good luck :)

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Yeah, maybe take any gassy foods out of your diet to see if it's that and maybe check with formula? Gassy foods are usually things like broccoli, onions, maybe garlic, tomatoes...basically you need to be having bland foods for a bit just to test things out and then slowly add things back in to see if there's a change. How much food is she getting in the day? It's tough to know also because you're breastfeeding and formula feeding and that might affect your milk production.

AmyH is offline Registered User
    When you are bottle feeding, which bottles are you using? There are some that you can get to prevent a lot of air being taken in when baby is sucking so it might be worth looking in to those.

hknanny is offline Registered User
    Lactose intolerance? You need to go lactose free for 5 days to see if there is an improvement.
    Formula has to be lactose free ( Cow and Gate/ pepti jr, or Neocate, both available at Fanda)
    if you want some help, you can Pm me

curios is offline Registered User
    Dear all, thanks for responses. switched formula to Infamil Gentlease and has helped a great deal. Also want to share that i give her DDS acidophilus once a day - this was recommended by a friend and boy did it change her completely. I highly recommend it. Can buy at Green Concepts on Wyndham St.

Now that the gas problem is gone, she has ofcourse gotten into habitual waking. She wakes up at 2am (used to be 3) for a feed. I feed her (BF), then she will wake up at 4, 5, 6 and cant fall back to sleep on her own.

Not sure if I should feed her at 4 or at 5. I would like awake time to be 7.

The other problem is she doesnt like to eat during the day - she prefers to play than eat - ofcourse impacting her sleep.

What to do?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Well, step 1 is out of the way. Lovely that she is not in pain anymore. That makes things easier. Looks like you have 2 things now here-she can't sleep on her own, and gets most of her nourishment at night so doesn't want it during the day. I would try to tackle the nourishment issue first. Can you hold out on her for milk during the night, little by little? You want her to drink more during the day instead.
    But I'm the last person to talk to about babies going to sleep on their own. My son needed to suck to sleep for the first year, now my 8 week old seems the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast