Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ma On Shan Mums

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Ma On Shan Mums

Hi!

Are there any mums who could tell me what it's like living in Ma On Shan?
    We're looking into moving (again!) because where we currently are is just too far for my son to commute to school but we don't want to make a move without knowing what it's like to live in that area.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    I live in Ma On Shan! Well, actually I live kind of just between Ma On Shan and Shatin in Chevalier Garden. Ma On Shan is quite a big area, so it might depend exactly where you live if you need specifics. I love it here. We have lived here for a year and a half. I am surrounded by mountains and just a 5 min. walk to the train station on the Ma On Shan line. I can walk from my house to the water in under 10 min, and there's a great path all along the water. There is a pretty nice mall right outside Ma On Shan Station that doesn't have lots of great western restaurants, but it's decent enough. They do have pizza hut, KFC, and McDonald's there, but no Starbucks or any coffee shop. Still, it's got a wellcome superstore and a big Park N Shop. It also has free shuttle bus services from there to our home and quite a few other locations around town. There are lots of parks and places for riding bicycles, and there is the country park there also. I don't find it too far away, as there are good bus routes to the Island and most places you need to go, as well as the train. If you can't find what you need there, Shatin is not too far and has a much bigger shopping mall. It's mostly a local kind of place with many wet markets and people who don't always speak English, but I don't mind and enjoy living here a lot. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask me!

Thanks Tsubasa!

We're hoping to be as close as possible to Heng On Station where RC is.
    We would like to be able to simply walk our 5 year old to school.
    Do you have any recommendations? The other alternative is to be as close as possible to the Ma On Shan Park - I heard that there is a nice waterfront park there.

I don't mind the localness of it all. It's all part of the HK experience :-)

Also, how easy is it to get to Sai Kung? My little daughter will probably need to go to playgroup or something or rather based there. Or is there a mothersgroup that meets regularly? Or a helper's playgroup?

Thanks.

Cheers!
    QM
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

babydoll is offline Registered User
    There are a few places to live close to Renaissance, such as Vista Paradiso, Sausalito etc. Ma On Shan city is also a good choice (like you mentioned) - places like Villa Athena, Villa Oceania etc. The places I mentioned have good seaviews. Actually if you live anywhere close to the KCR/MTR on the MOS line is convenient. Further up on the line is Lake Silver which is newer with a large clubhouse, and further down the line is Tai Wai which is convenient for transportation in general. Just ask a real estate agent to show you around the apartments in MOS one day to give you an idea of the surroundings.

It's a 15-20 mins drive by car to Sai Kung town thru the MOS Country Park, a little longer if you take the bus or if you need to go past Sai Kung towards Clearwater Bay. You may want to consider Shatin or Kowloon Tong for playgroups as an alternative.

carang is offline Registered User
    i drive through ma on shan every day on my way to tsing yi and shatin. we also have taken the kids to the public pool in ma on shan which is FANTASTIC! it is about 4X the size of the public pool in sai kung.

i would suggest that you look at getting a cheap second hand car and then you can be in shatin in 10 minutes & sai kung in 15 minutes.

if housing for us and the dogs werent' a problem, i would definitely consider ma on shan...

Thanks ladies!
    I'm keen on Lake Silver but on our budget, we're probably going to end up with a pigeon hole there! LOL! I've got a couple of months to get my head around living in a pigeon hole. So it'll be alright :-)

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    Are you trying to buy or rent? There are village houses in Tai Shui Hang Village just next to our place, too. Tai Shui Hang is one stop from Heng On by train.

@Tsubasa, we're renters.

Rent prices just seems to be crazy at the moment!
    I'm not sure about living in a village house as I've heard about break ins, triads etc. That is why we've chosen Ma On Shan versus Sai Kung.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast