Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

What book to read for kids 3-10 years?

crystal88 is offline Registered User

What book to read for kids 3-10 years?

I applied as a storyteller in public library (after i listened to one who was so boring, i thought i can do it better), and luckily (or unfortunately) i was accepted. Now, the problem is i don't have experienced reading for an hour to kids, what books should i read. Any suggestion on what book has lots of interaction with kids. My schedule is still August/September so i have lots of time to check out the books. Thanks.

southside852 is offline Registered User

congrats! as an elementary teacher i can tell you that storytellers are so important in children's lives. it helps promote literacy, imagination and gives children a voice when maybe they are too shy to speak. i did read aloud every day in my classroom and it was their favorite part of the day!

My son is 3 and loves: The Gruffalo, Gruffalo's Child, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Knuffle Bunny, Eric Carle books, Dr. Seuss, Tomie DePaolo books, all Kevin Henkes books, Pocketful of ****es,

My students who were 6,7,8 yrs old loved: same as my 3 year old, Cynthia Rylant books, William Steig books, Cloudy w/a chance of meatballs, Click Clack Moo, and chapter books like Junie B. Jones, SPongebob Square Pants, Marvin Redpost. As a story teller you can also read harder chapter books that might be appropriate for age 12 like the Beverly Cleary books (Ramona, Freckle Juice etc...), Roald Dahl books (James and the Giant Peach etc...), Because of Winn Dixie.

Hope this helps!

rani is offline Administrator

My 8 year old is reading - Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Diary of a Wimpy Kid

carang is offline Registered User

ROBERT MUNSCH (a professional canadian story teller) ALL of my students have loved him!

in addition to the others listed. but, really, look at what the library has and then come up with "themes"... i find that if I enjoy the book, the kids will, too. at least that is what i've found teaching mostly 1-5 year olds.

i took my kids to the story time in canada and the ladies were great. they also told some stories using puppets, finger puppets, felt cut outs, masks etc.

plumtree is offline Registered User

My son is 3 and likes Curious George for all the mischief he gets into.

lisa88 is offline Registered User

Congrats!

For books with a more Asian theme, try Grace Lin's books. http://www.gracelin.com/content.php?page=presskit

I found her books in the public library. My 2 yo LOVES "Dim Sum for Everyone". Love the illustrations.

crystal88 is offline Registered User

thanks ladies, i'll check out the books suggested, you're such a big help!

keep it coming if you have other suggestions.

AmyH is offline Registered User

My son (6) is currently reading Roald Dahl books (BFG, George's marvellous medicine, charlie and the chocolate factory, the magic finger etc) and finds them extremely amusing. They tend to hold his attention for quite a while!