Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Pump& bottle sterilization

sblossom is offline Registered User

Pump& bottle sterilization

Hi there, has anyone used a cooking steamer to sterilize pump parts and bottles? Am abt to start pumping BF to store before going bk to work. Or do I need to go get one of those specific bottle sterilizers?ie avant etc, I assume those contraptions will also fit pump parts? Hopfully not just bottles . Thanks!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

If it's been used for food before, I wouldn't want to risk it! Although if you got one brand new and ONLY used it for that purpose, maybe then... But the sterilisers do work for pump parts as well - and you don't HAVE to get the same brand as your bottles/pump...

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

I am selling my Tommee Tippee steriliser which I used for bottles and pump parts. Let me know if you are interested. We loved it and was so easy to use.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

Yes. I used a cooking steamer for sterilizing bottles/pump parts. I just make sure I keep the steamer clean (free of food in the cracks). During steaming, the "environment" is sterile, so to me.. good enough! :)

I find it works well because bottles should not be sterilized for the same amount of time as pump parts, which is what I was told by Medela sales. The plastic used for pumps/teats are softer and therefore sterilizing too long could shorten product life. I've used a cooking steamer for 9 months, and my LO is fine. My two cents.

sblossom is offline Registered User

Thanks all... I'll prob do the easiest thing and get a sterilizer..But if i had a steamer at home, I would prob just steam it.
    Posted via Mobile Device