Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gracey

IVF with Dr. Clement Chan - Input? Office Staff?

jgny is offline Registered User

IVF with Dr. Clement Chan - Input? Office Staff?

Have met with several IVF doctors here in HK and thinking of proceeding with Dr. Clement Chan. I like his no nonsense approach and I need a doctor who will be very thorough. In searching previous posts, there were some negative comments about him pushing a C-section. I'm not so concerned about that as I am not currently pg and am considering him for IVF only.

Would love if anyone who has done IVF with him can provide some input - things I have to be aware of, how he is during visits, etc?

One thing I am concerned about is his office staff. They do not seem very organized and there has been some instances where I feel they are not very professional. I'm thinking part of it is b/c I don't speak Cantonese and their English is not great. If anyone could provide feedback/thoughts, would be appreciated.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hi JGNY -- I've already responded personally to you. I hope it's going well.
    Everyone else -- Feel free to message me if you want information on this doctor.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    I don't know anything about Clement Chan but I think in the process of IVF the office staff/nurses are important as you will have a lot of appointments, different tests, scans, drugs etc. I recommend Dr Philip Ho as not only is he an excellent doctor, but his staff are extremely organised and kind and ****y the head nurse speaks perfect English and is very supportive.

Want2be is offline Registered User
    Hi jgny:

I just start seeing Dr. Clement Chan for IVF for he last 2wks. Dr. Chan is very thorough and clear some of the questions I can't get answers from the other doctors.

Although his nurses aren't professional enough from my opinion, the important is the doctor and the lab/hospital he's partner with.

HMC
    HMC is offline Registered User
    We use Dr. Chan as well for IUI and have family member using him for IVF. Agreed with the comments above that he is very thorough but his staff is quite disorganized and less than professional. And that is not a language issue (we speak Cantonese & English). His staffs 18 months ago were much better. His current staff are only in place last year.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    We used him for more than 6 months. He is thorough and impresses clients in the beginning. But some of his practices later on disturbed us. You can say he is super-conservative. Or you can say he is a worst-case-scenario-type guy. He often exaggerates problems and can frighten patients with horror stories. He thought of all sorts of problems I could have had -- but didn't. And he can be overly enthusiastic with drugs and treatments.
    Maybe it's a personality thing. Some patients want the most conservative route. But those who want a moderate, natural, less-stressful route should go to someone else.
    For ex, he kept trying to put me on bed rest, and kept ragging on the fact that I worked, travelled (moderately) and exercised. Even when I felt totally fine, I kept writing me doctors notes for 1-week off work. I totally ignored him after my first IVF, and it worked even though I happily went back to the office after 2 days.
    When I switched doctors, I was told this was fine, and that moderate activity and exercise were actually good for me.
    His staff weren't great. They often screwed up appointment times. And they made a large, expensive mistake on one of our bills. It wasn't a language issue with us either, since I speak Chinese.
    The good thing is he got us pregnant. But in the end, we switched doctors so someone a little more even-keeled to take care of our pregnancy.
    Doctor #2 immediately took me off an expensive, painful treatment Dr. Chan had prescribed.
    Last edited by Gracey; 05-07-2011 at 02:52 AM.
    Grace78 likes this.