Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tips on getting through a 12 hour flight and then jetlag!

hkmom1 is offline Registered User

One of the biggest reasons we got the iPad was for flights, there are loads of kids apps and we put on there some disney movies and elmo. My son doesn't usually get to watch TV much (only a little bit on weekends as a special treat) so that worked well for the flight. we're doing US trip in April and I also already bought some not opened yet toys and hid some other toys so that he has lots of "new" stuff to play with. My carry on is basically just a lot of books and toys.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

I have an iPad and some apps do keep her attention for a bit, as do the Dr. Seuss e-books. Any recommendations of apps/toys for a 1 yr old? Thanks hkmom1!

carang is offline Registered User

no, do not fight the jet lag. it will just make you grumpy, the child grumpy and just cause too much stress all around. i, too, let my kids play quietly in the middle of the night if that was when they woke up... but i only let them play for about 1.5-2 hours, then it was "nap" time.... and they'd sleep again from 4 or 5am until 7am ish....
    every day it got a little bit better.

blessed is offline Registered User

thank you for sharing, we are going to visit family in Toronto / Vancouver next month and baby will be 6mth by then. to be honest really not looking forward to the long flight but his great-grandparents would be delighted to see him and we don't want them to miss the chance, we have blessed to still have them around in their 90's.

we did a trial flight with him 2 weeks ago to bangkok and he did very well, but for the canada trip we are concern on the time different not only from hong kong, but also between toronto & vancouver, once we get over one time zone it's time to switch again... any good suggestion for multiple time zone change? he's a good sleeper through the night, though taking very short naps only during the day.

also, since he's relatively young i don't think toys / ipad etc can keep him occupied too much, and these few days he has really started testing his high pitched voice and seems to be enjoying it, we are afraid that he will be screaming in the flight, any suggestion to stop this? he doesn't seem to understand "no"... sorry a bit off topic here...

nino is offline Registered User

For crying/upset six month old - I had my ergo and either walked around plane a bit or just stood in aisle and rocked back and forth. She ended up falling asleep in ergo, so I just kept her in it to sleep. Of course, this method was calming for her when we werent on an airplane too, so it may not work if the baby is not used to it. I found traveling at six months very different (and much easier) than one year.

carang is offline Registered User

yes, 6 months is a walk in the park compared to the 1-2 year age bracket!

southside852 is offline Registered User

we are flying back this summer with my 3 year old and my 8 month year old to the nyc. i am torn about the bulkhead seats as i like putting my bags under the seats in front of me. my 8 month year old will be too heavy/big for the bassinet so we cannot use it....do you think it's worth it to request bulkhead? i usually just request the seats together by the window so that my so can play to the left or right of me....

thoughts?

nino is offline Registered User

We just flew on a fairly long flight. On the way there, we got bulkhead seats and I hated them. First, somehow there was a constant stream of people going to the toilet which was both noisy and bright. Second, the two aisle seats don't have raise-able armrests and my two year old daughter likes to sleep with her head on my lap, so I had to move around a lot. Third, the tv was attached to the wall and I found this too far for me or my daughter to see comfortably. I also worry about my daughter hurting herself playing with the tray tables that swing out from the armrests. And everyone used the space in front of us as a corridor to get from one side of the plane to the other, regardless of where our feet were, we were eating, sleeping, etc. On our way home, we didn't have the bullhead and I definitely liked it better.
    With older kids, I definitely prefer not the bulkhead. With babies who can have a bassinet, definitely prefer the bulkhead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast