Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rice cereal

sblossom is offline Registered User

Rice cereal

Just curious.. Why can't babies start with congee? Just plain rice boiled v softly in water? Or is there something special in store brand rice cereal? I have yet to start my baby on solids so just wondering.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I think you can, if you want. Rice cereal and congee are mostly the same thing (probably different texture). Most commercial baby rice cereal are iron enriched. Also usually baby rice is given mixed with the baby regular formula or breastmilk, so it would be easier for the baby to take it, given its familiar taste.

Also I like starting with baby rice, cause when the baby starts on solid, he would usually take just few teaspoons at a time. It is more convenient and easy to mix baby cereal with milk rather than cook just a small little portion of congee for every feed.

OlympianCity is offline Registered User
    and some commercial rice cereal are organic (and as Gataloca said, iron-fortified). so i personally prefer the commercial ones to home-made congee.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    i started with rice cereal but there was no way my LO was going to eat it, then tried congee and she loved it (for a month or so) now she won't touch it and only eats pasta / rice with meat sauce and she's only 9mths! my LO really has a mind of her own! my 1st started with rice cereal and loved it - so i stuck with that for her first year...think you have to go with the flow in a sense.

taysty is offline Registered User
    This is a good thread, i'm going to start mine with rice cereal soon. Allow me to ask this question, do you all mommies think it is better to spoon fed or bottle fed those rice cereal?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Definitely spoon fed.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    If you are breastfeeding then it is a good idea to introduce rice cereal first as it is fortified with iron and starting at 6 months, your baby will need external sources of iron. I think if your baby is on formula, it doesn't matter as much as formula has iron in it already. For my second little one, she is 5.5 months old and I just started her on rice cereal a few days ago. After she gets used to this for a week or two, I plan to let her try congee too. But even if I start congee, I will continue to give her rice cereal (so 2 separate mini-meals) because of the iron issue. This is what I did for my son and it worked out ok so I will do this for my daughgter now.

blessed is offline Registered User
    our baby is 5.5mths now and has started staring at us intensely when we are eating, planning to start rice cereal for him over the weekend, any suggestions on which brand to choose? we have the sample packs from nestle but heard from some friends healthy times is good? does it matter is it says rice cereal or brown rice cereal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast