Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Stand and Deliver: My most recent birth experience

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Thanka2 that was such a great birth story and so good you got what you wanted - we share the same philosophy about birthing so congratulations and awesome to know that you did this in Hong Kong. You did have me laughing, especially about the poo and the noise, I had both those experiences and there is nothing you can do about either- can't believe the nurses hadn't seen/heard it before!!! Maybe that is because of the high caesarean rate here. It is hard enough to achieve a natural, drug free no intervention birth anywhere in the Western world, but especially here. In the unlikely event that I am lucky enough to have another baby I will definitely be following some of your tips, especially as I think I would also go public. Looking forward to hearing about your new baby

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Congrats Thanka!!!

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I'm at 38 weeks and I'm hoping to go unmedicated and natural as possible. My first delivery was long like yours...about 52 hours from start to finish. It was a prolonged labour with very little productivity so I asked for an induction a day and a half after I checked into the hospital and we had already laboured for 12 hours at home. I also had back labour so i was exhausted. They broke my waters and started the syntocin and I had to get epidural which allowed me to rest. I really wanted to squat but the epidural prevented me from doing that. They inclined the bed as much as they could. I've been having practice contractions for the last couple weeks and baby is 2/5 engaged. I'm hoping he's coming soon as he's getting bigger and bigger. I really hope to have a similar experience you had with your baby girl's birth!

carang is offline Registered User
    thanka, thanks for the post. i was so happy when i got your sms! congratulations to you....but i gotta tell you...after two c-sections and no labour at all...i actually feel better about my births! LOL! although, i really envy the feeling of empowerment you must have felt to hold your little one after going through all of that!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Dear lord, Thanka, you made me laugh! I was thinking about all these Hong Kong nurses running around panicked at this big, naked, screaming foreigner spewing bodily fluids everywhere and refusing to lie down!
    I'm so glad it worked out for you. Congratulations on your little angel.
    I, too, will try for natural birth, though I may not be as brave as you in standing up to medical staff. (And, if I go through what you did, my hubby probably would pass out!)
    Best wishes for your little one.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thanka, thanks for the post. i was so happy when i got your sms! congratulations to you....but i gotta tell you...after two c-sections and no labour at all...i actually feel better about my births! LOL! although, i really envy the feeling of empowerment you must have felt to hold your little one after going through all of that!
    It's definitely mostly about philosophical differences when it comes to birth. I was thinking about this today as I was reading some of the above posts. It's one of those things where there is no way that someone who hasn't gone through an unmedicated natural childbirth can really understand experientially what it is and in the same way, people like me who have never gone through a c-section can't understand experientially what it is. Unless someone who has had a previous c-section goes through an unmedicated VBAC the two camps remain quite distant in experience.

The thing is, what I described of my labor isn't unusual--pain is often a part of labor but I have to say that although I experienced pain, I did not experience suffering or a sense of helplessness. Some of the words that were running through my mind while I was in labor came from my previous birth experience where one nurse, during the pushing phase had said to me, "Here comes a contraction, get on top of it!" I found that when I could feel a contraction starting I just instinctively started breathing. As I was breathing I was saying things to myself like, "Feed your uterus oxygen. It's a muscle. It needs oxygen to work." Because, a lot of the time women get scared and stop breathing or start hyperventilating and that is when things go south and start getting dangerous. I also told myself, "As long as you can breathe that means that you're still alive and this pain is not going to harm you or kill you." I also at one point toward the end when I was feeling really weak as I stood by the wall said to myself (although I didn't really feel like it) "I can go for days. I have the strength. Bring it!" All of these things helped me get that second and third and fourth wind so I could keep going. And above all, I was praying and my husband was praying the entire time and I just felt totally protected and that God was with me.

For me, after my son was born and I went through the trial of that labor and recovery, eventually I really did feel a sense of empowerment. This time around, I just felt a sense of grace and glory. It was a very spiritual experience especially since my husband was so intimately involved in the labor process. It is truly a precious experience to me and I think that this has affected my ability to adapt to the newness so far.

I have a friend who about a month ago did an unassisted childbirth with her husband in Australia (I wasn't aware until afterward that this is what they were doing) and she just talked about how the whole experience was so healing for her (she had a very bad experience with her first birth) and that she hasn't had any post-partum depression (which she really struggled with with her first child). She gave birth to a 12 pound baby too and didn't even tear because she was just so relaxed and in her element in her own home. Her labor was 5 hours long and she gave birth in a pool in her house. Now, whether one agrees with or disagrees with people who do unassisted childbirth, all I can say is that childbirth can be either very damaging psychologically or very healing--and a lot of that has to do with the environment the woman is in when she gives birth. There is even a lot of evidence that childbirth, in the right circumstances, can have a healing effect for women who have suffered sexual abuse and trauma. So, that's why I can't just approach childbirth as a medical procedure and that is why also I really appreciate that I could give birth the way I did--because there is so much more going on at the time of birth than just a baby coming out of a woman.

So, beyond all the health pluses of being able to give birth unmedicated and vaginally, for me I think the mental and emotional pluses were pretty profound this time around.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Thanka2 that was such a great birth story and so good you got what you wanted - we share the same philosophy about birthing so congratulations and awesome to know that you did this in Hong Kong. You did have me laughing, especially about the poo and the noise, I had both those experiences and there is nothing you can do about either- can't believe the nurses hadn't seen/heard it before!!! Maybe that is because of the high caesarean rate here. It is hard enough to achieve a natural, drug free no intervention birth anywhere in the Western world, but especially here. In the unlikely event that I am lucky enough to have another baby I will definitely be following some of your tips, especially as I think I would also go public. Looking forward to hearing about your new baby
    Thanks TNT. It's good to meet someone who seems to "get" where I'm coming from. And you are totally right--there is absolutely nothing you can do about vocalizing in labor or making a mess--you just have to surrender and let your body work. In that way, it's a very human and humbling experience--especially for us ladies who like to be in control and in charge (like me). I feel happy that I somewhat proved that "it can be done" in the public hospital--with a lot of grace and commitment, it really can. Thank you again and will definitely give updates on baby in the near future. :)

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    Congratulation thanka2. This is really an achievement. When my daughter was born 3 years ago , in Prince of Wales, we were there for four days before delivery and i remember whenever i told the nurses anything like that, they never used to like it. And in the labour room, when i told the mid wife i wanted to walk or squat, she said "it seems you've been reading a lot of western books. Procedures are different in HK." We were really annoyed to hear that. How can birthing be different in different parts of the world. But after reading your story, i think we will definitely have it our way whenever we have no.2.
    Great. Congratulation again.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast