Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast milk storage instructions

doe eyes is offline Registered User

Breast milk storage instructions

Hi,

Would like to know the best possible way to store breast milk in refrigerator ( not freezer)- in storage bags or in feeding bottles and which brands are good .

Should it be put in bags or in bottles, where is the best place to keep it in fridge ( i read one should not put it on door) and any other advice one should follow while storing milk

Thanks in advance

taysty is offline Registered User
    I put mine in those avent cups for fridge. For freezing i use Lansioh bags, but i'm gonna try out boots next time as it is cheaper.

Side note, i do put mine near the door for handy reason as my fridge is pretty cold. It really depends on the fridge i think.

blessed is offline Registered User
    same as taysty, i use avent cups for fridge & lansinoh bags for freezer, tried boots also but don't find it as sturdy as lansinoh ones... however i found my son does not prefer thawed milk after being frozen though so i've stopped freezing milk, just expressing enough for the next day and keep the fridge overnight.... i'm now back to work so my 5mth is taking 2 bottles of expressed milk monday-friday.

we have a hitachi fridge where they have a cooler drawer within the fridge, i put the avent cups there and no other stuff, so i only open the drawer then i need to access the milk.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I'm exclusively pumping for my daughter and my supply has always exceeded her needs (at the moment, I'm making about 1.5 times what she is drinking), plus I have hardly any freezer space, so it doesn't make sense for me to freeze at the moment. Previously I have frozen in the freezer storage bags though, and when this baby was in NICU I froze and used the Avent cups - but these days I just refrigerate.

I only have five of the small Medela bottles and my daughter drinks five bottles a day. She drinks between 150-190 mL each time and one bottle can hold right on 190mL. I pump and then pour the milk into the Medela bottles and cap them, then when I need to use them all I need to do is to attach the teat and warm it.

I would have loved to have been able to save every drop of milk I've made - my daughter is 8 months old and I'm SURE I could feed her probably until she was nearly 2 with all the milk that I've thrown away! But now I'm dropping down to pumping only twice a day and my supply is reducing a little with that - I aim to pump until she's about a year old and then she can just skip formula altogether... Fingers crossed...

southside852 is offline Registered User
    when i store in the fridge i use our son's regular dr. brown's wide-neck bottles, but use the storage caps on top instead of the teats. we just heat it up when needed. we use the EBM in our fridge within 3 days of it being pumped even though it's up to 4-5 days. i use medela and ameda freezer bags for the over-flow and use within a month of it being pumped.

jeffmama is offline Registered User
    do you know "milkbank"? it's a bottle storage which the pump to draw all the air out before sealing. i like the ECO concept because storage bag is not reusable. besides, re hygiene concerns btw bag and bottle, i feel bottle is better.

it's not storage bottle but also can be feeding bottle. just change the cap with nipple, it's done! very convenient.

you can keep it in the upper tray (or 2nd upper tray) in the fridge for 24hrs. if you found that it can't be finished in 24hr, just move it in the freezer which can be kept for longer time...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by doe eyes View Post
    Hi,

Would like to know the best possible way to store breast milk in refrigerator ( not freezer)- in storage bags or in feeding bottles and which brands are good .

Should it be put in bags or in bottles, where is the best place to keep it in fridge ( i read one should not put it on door) and any other advice one should follow while storing milk

Thanks in advance
    According to the post made here at this thread by Sarah_Lotus, a lactation consultant and leader with the LLL here in HK, breastmilk can be safely stored for up to 7 days in the coldest part of the refrigerator (for every refrigerator this is different--in my fridge, it's the very back of the middle shelf).

Right now I pump breast milk and freeze it but when I start pumping daily some will be stored in the fridge. I use a Medela electric pump but do not use the bottles for feeds so I empty the bottles into the bottles we use (Dr. Brown's) and cap them with a nipple and the plastic cap that cover the nipple so they are ready to be warmed and used immediately.

Depending on the pump you use (manual, electric, brand etc.) some people prefer to pump into the bottle they will be using to feed with and then just add the cap with the nipple later at the feed. It doesn't really matter how you store the breastmilk as long as it's sterile and kept cold and not kept in the fridge for too long. It totally depends on how much storage space you have and what your child's needs for milk are.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

solidstars is offline Registered User
    I used ice cube trays and popped them into zip lock bags.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast