Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Rhogam shots (for rhesus negative blood type)?

ozmerc is offline Registered User

Rhogam shots (for rhesus negative blood type)?

Anyone else had these during their pregnancy? What did you pay for them (if anything?) I've just learned it's going to cost almost $7K at my OB's office, which I was completely not expecting. Thanks.

geomum is offline Registered User
    I paid for them with both my kids. First one at QM it was free, Second one at Pvt doctor it was 3000HK$ (1500 HK$/ shot). Two shots are normally given, if you ever have bleeding you may need extra shots at that moment so little bit more. Not 7000HK$ for sure.

It would be almost $7K for 3 shots (assuming my baby turns out to be rhesus + like my first was). I am registered with the public system but I started seeing a private doc. If I'd know how much they charged I would have gone back to the public system for the shots! I didn't find out until AFTER the first one had been administered, and of course they aren't optional. Maybe the price has gone up since you got yours, or maybe my doc is slapping on a big premium.

CFM
    CFM is offline Registered User
    Yes from memory mine were about $2500 each shot...ouch!

It amazes me how does the price shoots up 1000$ from one doctor to another. I called up my Obstetrician's office last week to check and it was still 1500$/ shot.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    I just found out I'm pregnant and I know I needed these shots when I had my first in the US. But they were delivered postpartum. If I deliver in a pub. hosp, won't it be part of the cost of delivering in a hosp, charged at a public rate? am I missing something here? thanks for your advice!

Geomum - I need your OB! I have a friend who is using a more local OB and she is going to check their costs out for me. I ended up going to the public hospital and asking if I could get the rest there, since I'm already registered, unfortunately the doc said they use a different type of shot that has a higher dosage, but you only need 2 instead of 3. Because I'm on the 3 shot regime I have to stick with it. Not much I can do. I wish I'd stuck with the public system in the first place! Genkimom - as far as I'm aware it won't be additional cost in the public system - but if it is it won't be anything close to $7K.

There will be no additional cost at the public system, these shots are part of the treatment.
    Ozmerc my doc was Dr Philip Ho.