Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Let talk groceries and laundry

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I agree with all of the above. With all the food scares in China (a recent one on hormones injected into pork) we avoid all meat from China and try and avoid veges from there as well but that sometimes means we can't have something because it is just too expensive (eg: sweet potato). We find some imported veges are reasonably priced - eg: carrots from Australia, lettuce and baking potatoes from the US, asparagus and cherry tomatoes from Thailand, beans from Kenya. We are also avoiding veges from Japan at the moment with their devastating nuclear situation there. Imported meat is expensive but often on special at our Wellcome. We buy Brazilian chicken and beef mince. Sometimes Australian if it is on special. We occasionally get frozen meat or fresh fish from South Stream (mentioned above) and that is good.

Laundry - we also wash every day and run a dehumidifier in one room constantly to dry the clothes. The combined washer/dryers are hopeless at drying. On the odd occasion we have something that needs to be dried urgently (grobag/blankie bear!) we use the dryer function on the washing machine but it takes 2 hours!

capital is offline Banned
    Thanks for all the tips and websites!

How do you tell if meat is from china, will it be labelled as such? Or does one assume it is from China if there is no label from any other country. Or do I only need to worry about that at wet markets?

that would be great to take the laundry out, but I just can't imagine hauling all my laundry out somwhere. I'll have to get used to line drying and buy a dehumidifier.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    The meat in our Wellcome store is almost always labelled with its country of origin. Not sure if it is a new thing, but I find almost everything in the store (dry goods too) is labelled. I have really taken to checking everything now as was surprised to see my "big name" brand peanut butter is now made in China. Really pays to check the labels if it is something you are concerned about. There is a lot of Chinese meat in the supermarkets so it is not just something you need to think about in the wet markets. I should stress that this is a concern for our family but a lot of people have no issue with this. If I see meat that is not labelled then I avoid. It is probably HK (which I would be ok with) but could be China (which I am not ok with). I think a lot of people (me included) have been scarred by the melamine baby formula tainting in China recently which has made me make much more of an effort in choosing the products I give to my family.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by capital View Post
    that would be great to take the laundry out, but I just can't imagine hauling all my laundry out somwhere. I'll have to get used to line drying and buy a dehumidifier.
    Depending on where you live, you might get the ability to drop off and pick up your laundry at the front desk. We have this in our apartment block so it's easy to get both bulky laundry and dry cleaning done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12