Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Let talk groceries and laundry

capital is offline Banned

Talking Let talk groceries and laundry

So I am spending 2 months over the summer in hong kong, most of that I will be on my own with 3 kids, age 1,5,7. I have never spent that much time there, or by myself there, so I am trying to figure oiut how I am going to do everything. I live your typical north american suburban life, grocery shop 1/week in 1 BIG trip and try to do it with only the baby or alone as draggin 3 kids to the store is generally a nightmare. My older 2 hate shopping in any form and will whine and complain the entire time. The baby doesn't like it either, but he is strapped into the cart so it doesn't really cause me any problems. So now how am I going to buy groceries, a little at a time as the carts are so small and I have to walk home and fridge is half the size as at home.
    Do stores deliver groceries?
    Are there any online grocery stores?
    Do you eat local meat or only meat that is imported.
    Same with produce? I never worried too much about his befoe because I wasn't there that long, but now I'm not so sure.
    We are at the gold coast and I think the store there is a welcome, but my husband seems to think it is a "special" welcome with "special" higher prices. Any truth to this?

How do you realistically do laundry in Hong kong. In past visits I have had to run that sucker constantly day and night to wash and dry cloths in those terrible little combo machines. It takes hours to do 1 load and it still isn't dry! what am I doing wrong? Do you just not wear cotton, how to you get anything dry line drying with such high humidity. I just don't know what to do. With 3 kids I go through a lot of laundry! I do laundry all day long 1 day a week with a giant washer and dryer in Canada. How do I adapt to hong kong laundry.

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    Well I can't answer them all but I can help with some! Wellcome does deliver to your home if you spend over a certain amount, which in your case shouldn't be a problem. My husband and I have done it before for just the two of us, so I am sure with three kids you will too! I don't think the fresh stuff will be delivered though since it takes a day! I don't know about online stores. Most of the meat in grocery stores has been imported I think. If you buy from wet markets probably not. I have done it and never got sick from it but just thinking about how the meat is kind of hanging there all day makes me kind of ill, so in general I buy from grocery stores with refrigerators! The produce mostly is imported too, though I like the idea of buying it from here, it is sure hard to come by. Gold coast is a nice place with a big expat population. (I got engaged on the beach there, actually!) Can't remember exactly what the grocery store is like, but your husband is probably right.
    About the laundry, we have a very small washing machine also. Just the two of us so far, so it is still alright. It does not have any drying functions, just a damn good spinner! Once they are done spinning, we hang them up next to the window and in the summer time that is usually sufficient for them to dry within that day. In spring or winter sometimes it doesn't work so well, so we have got small dehumidifiers that also have a drying function. Put one under the hanging clothes and it works very well. We also have a pretty cool dryer installed in the ceiling of our bathroom. It can be either a room heater or a clothes dryer. Just hang all the clothes in there, set the timer, and shut the door and they get dry. I don't know what to tell you though- space is way smaller here and you have to do things on top of other things a lot. I don't really know how it will even work so well when our baby is born and there are three of us, so I can see with three kids it will be challenging! Good luck!

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    For Groceries you can use

http://shop.wellcome.com.hk/jsp/sys/...&hs_resol=1024

This is Wellcome's website. So long as you spend $500 or more delivery is free. You just select the day and a time you want it delivered. I generally don't do fresh vegetables or fruit etc but at least you can get the bulk delivered and then just pick up fresh stuff as you need it.

The other way to do it is if you head to your closest supermarket and select the stuff you want then you can just ask them have it delivered. Again if it is over $500 delivery is free. You will need to take the fresh and frozen stuff with you though.

As for "special" Wellcome stores. The main stuff should be the same price as in other stores but you may find there is more western imported goods compared with another store. This is because Gold Coast has a lot of Westerners so they will try to have items that they would like.

For fruit and vegetables I generally buy imported stuff although there is now a few local organic farms that friends have started using that deliver. Here is a few websites to have a look at...

This is a HK one where you can get a delivery every week but will not get to choose what you want you will get what is in session.
    http://www.organic-farm.com/buy.htm

Another website is an Australian one that imports fruit and veges. Quite expensive but worth a look.

http://www.aussieorganics.com/page.a...9&parent2id=22

Meat is also another one I tend to buy imported. Most of the stuff has been pre-frozen so it is a case of buying for the next few days, not buying to put in the freezer. There is lots of stuff in the freezer section also and they work out slightly cheaper. Again there are websites that you can purchase stuff through. Not cheap but worth a look.....

http://www.south-stream-seafoods.com/store/index.html

http://www.meatmarket.com.hk/home.php

http://www.meat.hk/english/home/default.asp

http://www.tenderloin.com.hk/

Hope that helps.

rani is offline Administrator

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I live a the gold coast and there used to be a "wellcome" here but it changed to "market place by jasons" last year and your husband is right... the prices are much higher! I do a weekly park and shop order and they deliver here, there is also a "Taste" in Tuen Mun and one in Tsuen Wan which are easily accessible from here.
    As for washing, I just wash in the machine and hang outside, you are right that it does take a while to dry. There is a laundry shop in gold coast which does normal washing/drying and dry cleaning so that could be an option for you.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by capital View Post
    How do you realistically do laundry in Hong kong. In past visits I have had to run that sucker constantly day and night to wash and dry cloths in those terrible little combo machines. It takes hours to do 1 load and it still isn't dry! what am I doing wrong? Do you just not wear cotton, how to you get anything dry line drying with such high humidity. I just don't know what to do. With 3 kids I go through a lot of laundry! I do laundry all day long 1 day a week with a giant washer and dryer in Canada. How do I adapt to hong kong laundry.
    When we lived in an apartment with no balcony, we had the dehumidifier running. We could handle two loads a day.
    If you happen to live in a home that has a central fan running in the bathroom, we used to line up the clothes over the bathtub (using hangers) on the shower curtain rail/string (like they have in a hotel). It takes a day to dry and some days two. But, we had to limit laundry to one load a day or else it didn't dry.

Otherwise, you could drop it off at one of those Chinese laundry shops which charges by the kilo/pound for washing drying and folding. We lived out in the N.T. where there was a cheap laundry shop. Just to give you an idea of prices, king size bedsheet + kingsize doona cover + 6 adult pillo cases + one child's bedsheet + donna cover + two pillow cases + towels = $75. We're now in a more expat environment and it's more expensive, $98.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Hi there,
    There are some places that will deliver frozen meats and stuff online: http://www.south-stream-seafoods.com/store/index.html
    Laundry can be a challenge, but what you could do is get your sheets and towels done professionally (not sure how much it is, but lot of people do this) and then do the clothes on your own with a dehumidifier. We buy most of our meats and veg at the grocery store. You'll need to take the perishables home with you, but they'll deliver the non-perishables.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Both ParknShop and Wellcome will deliver, $500 minimum to make it free. For fresh stuff you can go to that Market Place that AmyH mentioned. The selection is small but should do ok, though the prices are high.
    If I have a choice, I eat imported meat (Aus, US, Canada), but am ok with HK meat, and will only eat meat from China when desperate. Most of the packaged meat here is from somewhere else.
    For produce, whatever will be at the Market Place will be ok. I think they have organic produce too. But local stuff is fine and fresh too.
    Laundry here is a pain. We do laundry here every day because they are smaller loads. I actually live on the top floor so I have access to the rooftop, but I don't always use it. I often hang the clothes in the spare room, open the windows or turn on the dehumidifier. A lot of apartments have small clotheslines outside one of the windows where you can hang clothes.
    If you're here in summer, shouldn't be a problem bc even with the humidity, it's really hot and clothes dry fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast