Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

southside852 is offline Registered User

Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

Just wondering if anyone has successfully weaned their baby onto solids using the Baby Led Weaning method. This means no purees and using many foods we already eat (minus the salt, chip-sized food pieces.) Babies might gag a bit as they become more comfortable eating, but that is them moving the food around their mouths.

if you have weaned your baby using this method I would LOVE to hear your thoughts and experiences with it (feel free to PM me too!) and what first foods you used that worked best.

Thanks!

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    I used this with my 2nd child and loved it - it was so easy. Started with cooked vegies like carrot, brocolli, sweet potato - similar to the things you would puree I guess and what we were eating. I did feed him some things with a spoon such as plain yoghurt which he loved. In theory you can let them do this themselves but i was doing my own cleaning back then and the floor and high chair were enough work without adding in walls etc But mostly he was feeding himself which suited us both. I started at 6 months and i honestly don't think he ingested much til he was about 7.5 months, but he loved trying. Quickly moved onto bread, well cooked pieces of meat etc. He is not a big fruit eater unfortunately but that works well too.

He is now nearly 2 and a great eater - eats most things and has a good appetite, he may well have been like that anyway but it certainly only had upsides for me. Especially great when we went out for meals as a family and he would happily chew on plain pasta, pizza crusts, vegies etc. When flying with him at 13 months i took some bags of cooked brocolli and pasta as well as some treats and that lasted a 12 hour flight -very easy. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, but highly recommend giving it a go.

capital is offline Banned
    I do this. With my first it was mostly by default. Tried cereals at 6 months, he hated them. I could not get him to eat anything off of a spoon, so he really diidn't eat much until he could pick it up himself. I tired very hard to get him to eat purees, and cereals, every type, mixed with every possibility, he wouldn't eat it. He ate more probalby around 7.5 months. With my second and 3rd, I didn't even bother, pretty much just ate what we ate. My 3rd is now 12 months and still doen't eat much solid food. He can, and should be eating more. I attribute this to the fact that I am still feeding him at night, and BF quite a lot during the day. For the last 2 weeks I have been substituting some of his nursing with food. At 12 months he really does not need to nurse every couple of hours! He can eat food instead! BF is just to easy and mess free! Will night week completely soon, once over our colds, more because I am so tired !

Anyways, it is really easy. Just make foods that the baby can eat. For example if we are having potatoes, then mash some for baby. Stew is great, all the veggies are soft and the gravy is full of bits of meat. I did use a baby food mill to grind meat, as that is pretty tough. Pretty much any soft fruit or cooked veggie that baby can eat, mash, then diced, etc. I never really understood why people buy things like jarred banana whenyou could just mash some with a fork and it can be as mushy or lumpy as your baby takes. I really think the purees are a carry over from when babies ate at younger ages, as you will find not to far off of 6 months most babies will take mashed and small soft peices of food.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    like capital, i'm doing it by default as baby #2 won't eat any kind of cereal or pureed food! she wants to eat everything her older sis is eating (she's 2 1/2yrs old) so at 9mths is eating bolognese sauce with alphabet pasta, vegetable soup and the carrots inside - everything is just cooked a little more so it's soft and easily chewed (she has four teeth)

southside852 is offline Registered User
    great to hear! our little one just turned 6 months and we've been weaning since 5.5 months, but he hates cereal and purees.....he sees the spoon and starts crying and pushes the food out.....i think it's a combination of him not quite ready and also hating cereal.....hope to see a change in about 2 weeks when his pincer grip is a bit better and he can maybe pick up more food himself.

dueJuly is offline Registered User
    Southside, how did BLW work out for you? I am starting it next week and would love any tips you have!

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Hi dueJuly, my son and I both really enjoyed blw. If you google Baby Led Weaning 101 you'll come across some top tips from a fellow Hong Kong mama.