Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Are oatmeals meant to promote milk supply? Mrs Chee the lactation consultant advised otherwise ...
    Most of my friends who breastfeed report that oatmeal for breakfast helps them keep a good milk supply. If you check out Dr. Jack Newman at the Breastfeeding Clinic and Institute in Canada (one of the premier resources/authorities on breastfeeding in the world) he also lists oatmeal as a potential help for milk supply. I definitely can tell the difference between when I have had oatmeal and not as far as milk supply goes for pumping.

I don't know who Mrs. Chee is, but if she's Chinese she may have a different view on food than western doctors do. I know Chinese doctors (especially TCM doctors) put a lot of stock in the whole "hot/cold" food thing as well as other precepts from Chinese medicine. Did she say to avoid oatmeal? What was her reasoning? What foods did she tell you to eat? Most of the Chinese-type foods that are supposed to increase milk supply sound kind of disgusting to me, to be honest.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by banane76 View Post
    Thanks for the update and sorry you have PPD. My breastfeeding experience is much better than the first time around as my baby latched on right away. So far he is still feeding well! He's 11 weeks old now and definitely gaining weight. Good luck and good on ya for hanging in there to continue breastfeeding even though you're still not enjoying it.
    That's excellent that you're having a good go of it this time. Well, this time for me is also better than the first time, believe it or not. My baby is an excellent breastfeeder--it's just that my body has been uncooperative in many ways. I think that because I'm not doing it for the enjoyment and perks it makes it possible for me to keep going. I had to give up the hope/anticipation that breastfeeding would be enjoyable just to get to this point--I do it because it's my job at this point--that's all it is. I sure hope the following months of this go by quickly!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

banane76 is offline Registered User

I think as long as your eating lots of carbs, your milk production is good. I make sure I eat lots of rice, pasta and bread (the opposite of losing the baby weight I know), but it seems to keep my milk up. I think it's commendable that you are breastfeeding even though it's not the most ideal experience. You can use that as a bargaining chip for your child when they are teenagers lol! Oh, have you tried the fish papaya soup? I think it's pretty tasty and seems to help milk production...check out www.thechinesesouplady.com She has some confinement soups, the fish papaya one that helps with milk.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Thanks thanka2! Happy to hear about oatmeal cos I love oatmeal and am glad to know it helps with supply!!

Yes, I also heard that carb (rice specifically) helps with production too.

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User

Oatmeal is known as a galactagogue, a substance that increases the milk supply. Kellymom has an article called, Oatmeal for increasing milk supply which discusses this. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/oatmeal.html
    SARAH

Sarah Hung IBCLC
    www.lotuslactation.com

Quote Originally Posted by banane76 View Post
    I think as long as your eating lots of carbs, your milk production is good. I make sure I eat lots of rice, pasta and bread (the opposite of losing the baby weight I know), but it seems to keep my milk up. I think it's commendable that you are breastfeeding even though it's not the most ideal experience. You can use that as a bargaining chip for your child when they are teenagers lol! Oh, have you tried the fish papaya soup? I think it's pretty tasty and seems to help milk production...check out www.thechinesesouplady.com She has some confinement soups, the fish papaya one that helps with milk.
    Yes, definitely will let my kids know when they're older that I went through a lot for them. ;) With me, not all carbs are equal and oatmeal seems to do better at helping my milk supply than pastas or rice. Seriously, if I don't have oatmeal for breakfast, I can really tell. Rice doesn't do anything for me at all as far as milk production goes. Bread is a bit better.

The fish/papaya soup is one of the ones I think looks pretty gross. But, that's because I don't like ripe papaya (to me it has a rotten taste--almost like a sickening sweet taste of fruit that has turned) and I don't eat much fish because I don't like the taste. I will make an exception for salmon on occasion, depending on how it's cooked. In general, I find a lot of Chinese soups (and even a lot of Chinese food) to be not to my liking--guess I married into the wrong culture in that respect. My husband is Chinese and he loves all that stuff so we basically have two different menus going on in our house--my menu and his. This week, I selected a very Chinese-type dinner (from a Chinese cookbook) and our helper made it. He raved and raved about how delicious it was--I had a bite later and had to spit it out. We have extremely different tastes. I am doing better, though because when I first came to Hong Kong ten years ago, I couldn't stomach Chinese food at all. I've actually tasted that soup before when my MIL made it and it really made me gag...sorry.

But, I do eat a lot of green papaya (love it--doesn't taste at all like ripe papaya). Yesterday I had a huge Thai green papaya salad--I eat that several times a week actually.

Mother of Two

banane76 is offline Registered User

well, the chinese soup lady recipe actually calls for green papaya, and when you fry the fish before making it, it's not too fishy. You could also put everything in a soup bag so all you get is the liquid. i put ginger in the soup too to take away the fishiness, and we sometimes will put tomato, carrot, celery to make it more vegetable-ly.

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User

If you want a recipe for the papaya and fish soup this one seems to be quite good, http://www.thechinesesouplady.com/papaya-fish-soup/
    And despite the photo being of yellow papaya for increasing the breast milk it is meant to be green papaya.

When I was first interested in breastfeeding about 24 years ago a nurse working at HKU called Lydia Ling (who went on to become the first IBCLC in Hong Kong) introduced me to this soup and told me she'd has a lot of success at helping mothers increase their milk supplies with it.

Generally I believe the things people tell me I should eat when breastfeeding and don’t worry too much about the things people tell me not to eat. There seems to be more wisdom behind the reasons for eating things.

SARAH

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast