Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Yes, my feeling is why this soup might work for women in increasing breast milk is the ginger, protein (fish stock) and green papaya (which has enzymes that help us digest/process food better). So essentially, when I have my Thai green papaya salad with chicken I'm getting at least two of these elements. Just need to drink some warm ginger tea and I have the other elements.

I really, really do not like fish at all and even when people say "well, this fish isn't fishy" I still tend to taste the fish--it's not just the taste of "fishy" fish--I just don't like fish. And as I said, I'm really not wild about Chinese soups at all. So, I'll just stick to what I like--I'm already gagging down copious amounts of herbs and spices to help.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think if you're already on Dom - the effects that you may or may not get from green papaya soup will be minimal and probably not worth the gag-factor ;)

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Just keep doing what you're doing :) Green papaya salad is pretty yummy though. Glad you can enjoy it!

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    I am 100% with you about not eating foods that you don’t like. I have tried very hard during my time in Hong Kong to familiarize myself with as many Chinese customs as I can. There is, however, one area where I have failed miserably and that is the Chinese medicine idea that something that tastes bad is doing you good.

I feel that if something tastes bad then it must be doing me bad as well and, of course, if something tastes good then it must be doing me good – including that extra slice of chocolate cake!

Best wishes,
    SARAH

kacoak is offline Registered User
    Glad to hear you are better. My daughter is 7 weeks old now, and during the first month of her life I was really struggling with breastfeeding her. I breastfed my first daughter for ten months, but my second one is a barracuda baby! She chomped and chomped. I had mastitis and was on high fever for a couple of days. At one point I stopped nursing and was strictly pumping as the pain was unbearable. After one month, my nipples heal, and I'm glad I stuck it out as I am now back to normal nursing (and still pumping at times, there's some extra production). I wished I'd read about the coconut oil earlier and had given it a try - maybe it would have helped. I used Lansinoh, but it didn't help as much as I wished it did.

Quote Originally Posted by kacoak View Post
    Glad to hear you are better. My daughter is 7 weeks old now, and during the first month of her life I was really struggling with breastfeeding her. I breastfed my first daughter for ten months, but my second one is a barracuda baby! She chomped and chomped. I had mastitis and was on high fever for a couple of days. At one point I stopped nursing and was strictly pumping as the pain was unbearable. After one month, my nipples heal, and I'm glad I stuck it out as I am now back to normal nursing (and still pumping at times, there's some extra production). I wished I'd read about the coconut oil earlier and had given it a try - maybe it would have helped. I used Lansinoh, but it didn't help as much as I wished it did.
    Ha ha ha! "Baracuda Baby"--that was my first child! He was more like a pirana baby, though! My nipples were never the same after that!

So glad to hear your nipples are back to normal now! It seems to be the average that people here usually get over the discomfort of breastfeeding between 2-8 weeks--based on the poll here, anyway. My nipples are better but not 100% but the coconut oil is AMAZING--it makes them feel so much better!

Yeah, Lansinoh did nothing for me compared to the pure coconut oil.

Hope you continue to enjoy your BFing times. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Yolilau is offline Registered User
    I had a friend who managed to continue breast feeding for a whole year!

Quote Originally Posted by Yolilau View Post
    I had a friend who managed to continue breast feeding for a whole year!
    Yolilau,

Your post kind of made me laugh! I think on this site you'll find women who are breastfeeding for much longer than a whole year! Actually, a full year of breastfeeding is the bare minimum recommendation by the World Health Organization for optimal health of babies. It's not unusual for women to breastfeed that long!

And guess how long I've been breastfeeding my daughter now? Eighteen months! 1-8! It's kind of hard to believe I could make it this long. Very proud of our accomplishment and will probably continue to breastfeed her until at least 2-years-old and possibly longer. I know women on this forum that have breastfed their children beyond 3-years-old. Totally normal.

Mother of Two

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast