Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

Koan is offline Registered User

WHO recommends minimum 2 years.

Yolilau is offline Registered User

good for you to have such patience.
    I'll be lucky to be able to do it for 6 months

Yolilau is offline Registered User

2 years?!!? Lucky for those who aren't employed

Koan is offline Registered User

I work full time. My first son weaned when he was four.

It is possible to have a successful breastfeeding relationship and work outside the home.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolilau View Post
    2 years?!!? Lucky for those who aren't employed
    I am employed--full-time and I still breastfeed my 18-month-old daughter 4-5 times/day. For the first 9 months I pumped breastmilk at work as well. Totally possible and totally normal to breastfeed for this long or longer. Just need the right commitment, education and support.

I think if you go into it with a defeated attitude of "I won't be able to do this even for six months" then that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. On the other hand, if you're resolved in your mind, nothing is impossible and there are a lot of great resources out there to help. And, as my experience shows, it's not always easy but it is totally possible. And in the end the rewards for mama and baby are worth it.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

evgreen is offline Registered User

I work too albeit part-time five days a week. Just one week shy of LO's 1st birthday and today is my first day of not pumping at work! Yayyyy! Like thanka I still breastfeed 4-5 times a day.

P.S. I didn't go into breastfeeding with any type of goal or minimum like 6 months or 1 year. I just went with it and followed baby's cues and find myself still breastfeeding after almost a year.

Last edited by evgreen; 09-25-2012 at 11:52 AM.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by evgreen View Post
    I work too albeit part-time five days a week. Just one week shy of LO's 1st birthday and today is my first day of not pumping at work! Yayyyy! Like thanka I still breastfeed 4-5 times a day.

P.S. I didn't go into breastfeeding with any type of goal or minimum like 6 months or 1 year. I just went with it and followed baby's cues and find myself still breastfeeding after almost a year.
    Congrats on being able to drop pumping! That is such a milestone, in my opinion--truly loved it when I could do that.

Well, if you read the original post in this thread, my original intent was to breastfeed for 8 weeks and see what I would do next so I definitely didn't have much of a minimum requirement either. But, I think that the breastfeeding relationship between my daughter and I developed so strongly even through the very difficult times that it was so right to keep going...and going...and going.....who knows when she'll stop?! I commented today that she'll probably be one of those kids who breastfeeds until they're 3-4-years-old but added that it definitely won't be 4-5 times/day at that point!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112