Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Good to hear everyone's experience. Thanks for sharing.

See, with my first child, I really did get help--from the very beginning--I saw a lactation consultant at least twice a week for six weeks straight in the beginning. Stayed in touch with the lactation consultant. Inquired with LLL. I bought a high-quality breast pump. I used breast shields. I should buy stock in Lansinoh because I went through a lot of that stuff too. Baby and I were treated for thrush but don't think that was actually the problem because it didn't improve things. I used soothies, ice packs, heat packs, cabbage leaves, gentian violet, c-nipple cream (the REALLY EXPENSIVE all-purpose nipple cream--it's about $200 USD for a prescription!) and a vast array of other traditional and home remedies as well as supplements and diet changes. NOTHING made it better. I ended up pumping a lot and direct feeding at nighttime. Baby's latch was not the problem.

I've just decided that my mental health is a very worthwhile resource that my family and I actually need to keep a priority so if it's a toss-up between my own health and some benefits my baby may get from breastmilk, I have to choose the former because it's simply the better choice overall for my family--I have people who depend on me being happy and healthy--my husband, son and baby so I've got 5 1/2 more weeks left for this to all get worked out or it's formula for us. Praise God that formula is actually an option nowadays as 100 years ago we would have been up a creek without a paddle!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    First one took 6-8 weeks to get established and the first 4 were awful. The same problems started with the second one but it took less time to mellow out more. She's 2 months now and though isn't perfect at breastfeeding, she seems to be thriving so I kinda just stick her on and hope for the best at this point. I feed on demand so there's a lot of just sticking her on during the day and letting her figure it out;)
    I'm going to breastfeed until she self weans like with her brother. I hate bottles and formula. Pumping is a huge chore too. Breastfeeding is just too easy for us.

littlesunshine2 is offline Registered User
    I recall three weeks of horror and pain, to the point that my mum (who never bf any of her four kids) told me to give it up and start on formula. That was the biggest motivator, to proof to her that I could do. The next couple of weeks were hard but at around 16 weeks my dd rolled on her side and we both could happily lie down side by side; dd would drink, I would sleep. from that point it was easy. I bf her for nearly 21 months. I'm now pregnant again and hope that I'll have a similar experience with the second one.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I bfed my first for 4 months and it was the longest 4 months of my life. i can honestly said i dreaded doing it every day for 4 months. my milk also was delayed coming in b/c i was so stressed about it. it took a week after my son was born to have him latch on properly. i was at the hospital every day working with their lactation consultant. the entire time i bfed i was running on low battery and was so stressed about every feed. plus my first had reflux so we supplemented with formula. the day stopped nursing my first, felt like a huge weight had been lifted for both of us! it felt great!

i just finished nursing my 2nd after almost 6 months. i am actually so proud of myself for keeping with it this time. i didn't supplement with formula this time around and pumped 80% of the time and nursed directly 3 times a day. it was soooooo much easier for me the 2nd time around. i think i was just more relaxed and more confident in my parenting abilities. i felt like i knew how to nurse right from the start and i wasn't stressed.

i think for the majority of mothers, breastfeeding is really hard and requires perseverance and the belief that you can do it. No one tells you how hard it is and I applaud those who breastfeed for 1 week, 1 month or 1 year. It's all really amazing. No mother should feel guilty about not breastfeeding - it's not for everyone and some medically just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    the day stopped nursing my first, felt like a huge weight had been lifted for both of us! it felt great!
    Totally the same feeling! :)

It's all really amazing. No mother should feel guilty about not breastfeeding - it's not for everyone and some medically just can't.
    And in my case, I'm the mother who also "mentally" couldn't do it. :)

Biggie is offline Registered User
    It was difficult with my first for the first 4-6 weeks. I also had low supply. Then I became more relaxed about supplementing with formula and baby was on half bf half formula.
    Second baby is easier (3 mth old now). He latch on from day 1, only a bit of cracking nipple during first week. But still take me 6-8 week to establish supply. I think it's a combination of baby being better eater, and me being more experienced.
    Posted via Mobile Device

southside852 is offline Registered User
    I am also sadden when I hear stories of mother's who tell me other mothers look at them as if they are crazy for not breastfeeding or midwives who give them a look of disappointment when they decide to switch fully to formula or when they go to support groups for new moms and everyone is breastfeeding, but them. You should not be made to feel horrible for not breastfeeding during a time that is so overwhelming to begin with....Bringing a child into this world is a feat in itself. If not breastfeeding means you'll be a better mom, then so be it!

The bottom line is that no one knows your actual story for not breastfeeding whether it's medical, mental or it's just too hard. Tons of babies are formula-fed and are doing just fine :).

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast