Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

taysty is offline Registered User
    Thank you southside852! What you said makes my day! I hope everyone or generally public thinks like you really.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Koan is offline Registered User
    It took about 7 weeks. The first few weeks were truly horrible. I cried all day long and had toe curling pain the whole time he nursed, which was of course about 18 hours a day LOL! We had all the common problems, latch issues, engorgement, fatigue, baby blues, etc. It sucked. I desperately wanted to quit but knew that if I could get through the beginning it WOULD get better. Why else do people nurse for so long if it's that dreadful? My mother nursed me until I was 2.5 and always talked about it so happily so I knew it couldn't stay sucky forever.

And it didn't. This will pass and it will get better. You may not ever love it, but it won't hurt forever, it won't be hard work forever. And maybe, just maybe, you'll love it too!

Let me know if you need anything, thanka2.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    It took about 7 weeks. The first few weeks were truly horrible. I cried all day long and had toe curling pain the whole time he nursed, which was of course about 18 hours a day LOL! We had all the common problems, latch issues, engorgement, fatigue, baby blues, etc. It sucked. I desperately wanted to quit but knew that if I could get through the beginning it WOULD get better. Why else do people nurse for so long if it's that dreadful? My mother nursed me until I was 2.5 and always talked about it so happily so I knew it couldn't stay sucky forever.

And it didn't. This will pass and it will get better. You may not ever love it, but it won't hurt forever, it won't be hard work forever. And maybe, just maybe, you'll love it too!

Let me know if you need anything, thanka2.
    But my experience is that it doesn't pass and it doesn't get better and all the expert advice and consultation doesn't help either (in my case, I mean--I know plenty of women who have been helped a lot by experts in this area). I mean, I put up with it and still had that toe-curling pain and discomfort for SIX MONTHS and I still kept with it because I told myself every day that it would get better and I kept asking for help and going to lactation consultants and doctors and we tried everything (probably things that most breastfeeding moms aren't even aware of) and it just never got better. So, I think I'm just one of those cases where breastfeeding might not be the best option.

The thing is that people who do nurse long-term are able to get over the physical problems within a reasonable amount of time (unless they're like me--stubborn and I guess a glutton for punishment in some ways as well). That's why I've given myself 8 weeks--it's a reasonable amount of time--and after that I have to go back to work full-time. From my past experience--stress isn't very conducive as well to breastfeeding/pumping so if the situation is still not working out I can't see myself stressing at work about it on top of the day-to-day stress of work. And especially not with an older child to take care of the same time. There is only so much one person can give before they really start to go crazy.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You know with my 2nd, I was unable to nurse directly - for one, she was in NICU on a feeding tube for four months so she lost all her reflexes, even teaching her to drink from a special bottle which requires no sucking action was a huge chore! And for two, she has a cleft palate so she has very little suction as it is, definitely not enough to nurse. I made the decision to pump for her - and still I've had some people ask me "Why aren't you NURSING her!?!?!" (not really as a question, more as an accusation!!) - I can't believe the audacity of some people when they don't even KNOW the situation. I would have done ANYTHING to be able to nurse my 2nd daughter and I have made a HUGE commitment with pumping, but there are still people out there who want to make you feel guilty about it. Ignore them all, I say ;)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    You can do whatever you want, but there will always be some people would would make you feel guilty for your decision. My baby is almost 9 month old now, and I am still breastfeeding him. I had lost of problem in the beginning, and like many people, had engorgement, thrush, mastitis, etc. In addition to that, my baby wasn't gaining lot of weight, and together with the eczema problem, even the pediatrician was telling me to switch to formula.

My mom (who never breastfed us) would make a comment like "Are you still breastfeeding???!! Give him formula!" each time she sees or talks to me. When my baby was younger and would cry at night, she would just assume that he is hungry because I don't have enough milk, or because my milk was not nutritious enough for the baby. (And mostly because she knows people whose babies are fed on formula, so she assume that formula is the best)

Even my husband suggested in several occasion that we should switch to formula, just to see if the skin condition of the baby would improve..

... after 9 month, breastfeeding still sucks, but due to different reasons.. Like my baby now would bite me and hurt me so much, but I still don't want to give up. Probably I am stubborn, but I do like the closeness and the bonding....

jane01 is offline Registered User
    It never stops sucking, literally. I did not enjoy breastfeeding either of my children and only persevered because it was best for them. I hate sitting down doing 'nothing' - I like to be busy all the time. I'm very impatient. I lasted 12 months with the first and 8 with the second. So glad I never have to do that again !

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    With my first I think I was quite lucky - I actually don't think I had any huge issues in the beginning (maybe a little pain the week or two) - other than always worrying about supply. I am one of those mothers that has just enough - and sometimes possibly not enough. Sometimes I would have a blocked duct, but that issue would be resolved with some continuous feeding. However, after I passed the six month mark - I started to have more issues. I had serious nipple pain for a few weeks and never quite figured out what it was - could be the beginning of a yeast infection as my lactation consultant told me. After I applied the cream she gave me, it got better. I ended up BFing until he was 11 months and only stopped because I was too sick with morning sickness with my second baby to continue. Though I didn't have too many issues with BFing - I still introduced a bottle of top up formula at night starting when my son was 2 months old to help him sleep through the night.

With my second one now, who will turn six months at the end of the week, I had horrible nipple pain for the first month or so. It was really bad and I went to see the lactation consultant a few times - but after the first month, things resolved itself and I've had no issues since then. Well, one little issue - my daughter was gaining weight really REALLY slowly. Mostly because she didn't really like to eat so only spent very short periods of time on the breast and didn't feed that many times each day. In fact, very early on she already started sleeping through the night and I had to wake her up to feed her! Anyways, because her weight gain was so slow, I put her on a higher calorie formula once a day when she turned 4 months (it is a special formula recommended by my pediatrician) so that her weight gain would catch up. I'm hoping to BF her until she turned one.

Papaya is offline Registered User
    Good to see this discussion. I also had a very hard time with breastfeeding for a long long time. I tried so hard that the pressure on me made me loose my sanity and the first few months were really traumatic. We lasted two years and yes things got better on the whole and there were some wonderful moments, but it was never truely trouble free, and weaning was another challange.

I think 8 weeks is more than long enough for a 2nd child. With a first child you can afford to spend all your engery and then some on breastfeeding, but with number 2 you need to think of the interests of the whole family including the 1st child.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast