Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie_hk View Post
    Thanka2,

It took me around 4 weeks after weeks of tears, mastitis & sleepless night expressing. Little did I know that I would be continuing till my daughter was 18 months! I did a bit of travelling overseas when she as a baby and I must say it made my life SOOOO much easier. No bottles or coolers to bring, no need to worry about that 100 mls limit (although we do get exceptions but it's still a hassle to have to taste it or make sure it remains fresh) and the quickest way to calm a crying baby on a plane.

BTW, try Palmer's cocoa butter nipple cream. It's quite a thick, dense gel. I used it back in Australia so wouldn't know where it's available here sorry.
    I'm glad you were able to work things out in 4 weeks with your daughter. I breastfed for 24 weeks with almost constant consultation with lactation consultants and doctors and never did get any relief. I had pain and discomfort from day one onwards. It got better in the sense that my son could latch on without me screaming in pain and yanking him off my nipple but it was still painful, itchy and uncomfortable for 6 months straight. I also had mastitis, yeast infections and all the assorted breastfeeding problems in the beginning which I was over by the time he was 8-weeks-old. I've pretty much tried every medical and holistic remedy out there at the suggestion of various professionals.

Thanks for the suggestion of Palmer's. I checked into the ingredients and the number one ingredient is petrolatum, a petrol product which is basically Vaseline. The LLL leader I consulted with asked her dermatologist friend about suggestions for irritated skin and the dermatologist recommended Vaseline. However, I feel that it's much healthier for my child to be ingesting pure lanolin rather than a petrol product. I might give Vaseline a try for a few days and see if it helps. Also, my concern is about the cocoa butter as it can be an allergen.

Margaret09 is offline Registered User

I would like to share my breastfeeding journey. I had many problems with latching in the first few weeks. I saw a breastfeeding consultant, who gave me some very good advice. And a dear friend, who breastfed her 3 children, until they were at least 1 year of age, suggested keeping going until 6 weeks as thing often begin to settle. So persevere I did. Bearing in mind that I come from an artificially fed family, the pressure to give up was subtle but there. However I never doubted that I could do it. Whenever I experienced a problem, I did my research to find a solution.
    Initially I anticipated I'd feed until 8 week, that then became 3 months, at which stage I though well lets aim for the 6 month recommendation. I reached 6 months averaging between 8 - 14 feeds in a 24 hour period, with usually 2-4 feeds in the night period.
    I introduced solids at 5.5 months & continued to breastfeed, thinking I'd stop at 8/9/10/11/12 months
    I'm still breastfeeding at 19 months.

The period of breastfeeding that I have enjoyed the most has been from 1year onwards. The focus seemed to shift from a solely nutritional one to a something else...
    Firstly, the convenience of breastfeeding has seen us through some challenging times - long haul flights & bouts of illness being 2 that spring to mind. I read somewhere recently to mother your child at your breast rather than just breastfeeding... I had to think about this statement & realized that I do this all the time. Our physical closeness helps me to recognise if he's unwell, it also gets me connected as to where he's at in his day. An example being he now asks for 'me me' when we're out if he's overwhelmed by the environment we are in. It soothes him & gives me a clue of places to avoid!!

There are increased health risk, both acute and chronic, associated with formula.
    The immune systen of formula fed babies is less developed & the gut is less protected.
    The composition of both are very different. See this link

http://www.bcbabyfriendly.ca/whatsin...milkposter.pdf

I share this information, not to induce guilt, as motherhood is already full of guilt, but to add to the body of knowledge & information so that women can make an informed choice

If you want to breastfeed, trust that your body can do it, get undated information on the risks associated with formula feeding. Surround yourself with people who support your breast feeding choice. Get help when in doubt from LLL or a lactation consultant. Mother your child at your breast. We have the health of the future generations in our arms, what a awesome privilege....

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

Great post Margaret!

mariyam is offline Registered User

hi i need a help ectuall i want to stop my baby breast feed how to stop him coz he is not bottle feed he does not like bottle now he is 1 years 10 months plz help me anyone thanx!

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post

Any long-term breastfeeding moms out there who have skin problems? I don't have eczema or psoriasis or any major skin conditions but all my life I've had dry and sensitive skin. The treatments for skin irritations I've developed in the past are creams that in no way you could apply to your nipple while breastfeeding.
    it might help to take some oil that is high in omega 3, 6 & 9 (e.g. flaxseed oil). Although you said it's not eczema or psoriasis, the omegas are great for your skin, so might help. When I had really bad eczema, i used to add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil to my orange juice every morning (disgusting at first, but after a while i got used to it!). my eczema cleared up pretty quick. the only problem with doing that here is that the bottles of pure oil are a) expensive & b) need to be refrigerated - someone said to me as it's imported into hk, you can't be sure how long it's been sitting on the docks for, unrefrigerated... you can take it in capsule form, but in order to get enough, you need to take quite a few at a time, so it works out more costly than buying the bottle of oil.

treating your skin from the inside out might be better while breastfeeding, rather than a cream/ointment...
    hope you find something that works for you

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lalligirl View Post
    it might help to take some oil that is high in omega 3, 6 & 9 (e.g. flaxseed oil). Although you said it's not eczema or psoriasis, the omegas are great for your skin, so might help. When I had really bad eczema, i used to add a tablespoon of flaxseed oil to my orange juice every morning (disgusting at first, but after a while i got used to it!). my eczema cleared up pretty quick. the only problem with doing that here is that the bottles of pure oil are a) expensive & b) need to be refrigerated - someone said to me as it's imported into hk, you can't be sure how long it's been sitting on the docks for, unrefrigerated... you can take it in capsule form, but in order to get enough, you need to take quite a few at a time, so it works out more costly than buying the bottle of oil.

treating your skin from the inside out might be better while breastfeeding, rather than a cream/ointment...
    hope you find something that works for you
    Thanks, lalligirl :)

I actually take this every day as well as this.
    I have Udo's 3-6-9 Oil Blend in my fridge.

I really don't know what else to do but I'm thinking of maybe trying a different nipple cream. Does anyone have any recommendations in this area. Someone already recommended Palmer's. I also saw this, this and this.

Day-by-day my nipples keep getting more and more sore despite my best efforts with the Lansinoh and correct positioning and latch of baby. I'm still holding out but I'm not sure if I can for the long-term. :(

Jzlyn is offline Registered User

thanka: i've used Lansinoh, Medela and Palmer's and my fave is Medela's nipple cream. Try that perhaps?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I know you have probably tried this - but just thought I'd ask just in case... have you tried nipple shields? What has your experience been with them?

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast