Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: I breastfed long-term (6 mo. +) and I was finally comfortable breastfeeding at...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

When Does Breastfeeding Stop "Sucking" ?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jzlyn View Post
    thanka: i've used Lansinoh, Medela and Palmer's and my fave is Medela's nipple cream. Try that perhaps?
    Thanks much. Did you buy the Medela cream in Hong Kong and if so, where did you get it? Can you remember the price? Thanks for any tips. :)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I know you have probably tried this - but just thought I'd ask just in case... have you tried nipple shields? What has your experience been with them?
    I also tried a nipple shield with my son. I used one by Medela. For me, there wasn't really any point to using the nipple shield with him in the end because his latch was also really good. With my son it was a different set of issues, though.

I also tried the nipple shield with my daughter but what it's intended to do (one of the purposes) is to help babies latch properly. In her case, she has a very good latch to begin with but when she uses the nipple shield her latch becomes awful--so much that it compresses my nipple and makes the problem a lot worse. Also, because it's silicone she doesn't like it--she tries to spit it out of her mouth--in the same way she also (so far) is totally uninterested in pacifiers/dummies/soothers. She may be one of those kids who sucks her thumb as when she is hungry she'll suck on her hand and I saw today that she had figured out how to suck on her thumb as well.

So, I wish that the nipple shield worked as it might provide some protection for me but she won't even let that thing in her mouth without trying to get rid of it. The first couple of times I tried it she would try to latch on but as I said, the latch looked really bad and now she just flat-out refuses to suck on it. :(

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Thanks much. Did you buy the Medela cream in Hong Kong and if so, where did you get it? Can you remember the price? Thanks for any tips. :)
    I saw the Medela lanolin cream at Eugene... Don't remember exactly the price.. probably something around 60 to 80 HKD for a small tube.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Too bad about the nipple shield. I used it a bit when breastfeeding my daughter with a yeast infection that was extremely painful. I have heard of people using it as a protective device as well with mixed reviews. It wasn't hugely helpful for me, but I know that you're wanting to try EVERYTHING possible so thought I'd ask anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    Too bad about the nipple shield. I used it a bit when breastfeeding my daughter with a yeast infection that was extremely painful. I have heard of people using it as a protective device as well with mixed reviews. It wasn't hugely helpful for me, but I know that you're wanting to try EVERYTHING possible so thought I'd ask anyway...
    I know! :) I really did try everything with my son--so I sort of already have an 'arsenal' of breastfeeding equipment and supplies. It is a bummer that the nipple shield doesn't work. :(

This website is extremely helpful.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    i remember having extreme nipple soreness in the first 3 months with my son. it was so painful from all that sucking that i had to pump one side (the worse side) and breastfeed the other. till the worse side felt better. sometimes it took up to 5 days and then i had to keep alternating. slowly, he was only feeding one breast per feeding and that was ok because he was putting on weight and had enough wet nappies.

and religiously slapped on lansinoh before and after feeding. and i was walking ard in the apt half naked airing my boobs! and i avoided wearing bras.

i think only when he turned 4months, the soreness healed. BUT came a whole lot of other issues like tearing and biting. :(
    Posted via Mobile Device

expatmom is offline Registered User
    Reading through all of your comments bring tears to my eyes. My baby is now 4 months old and for 3 months, I really struggled with breastfeeding to the point I wanted to give up. I battled two bouts of nipple thrush. Breastfeeding and pumping were really painful for those 3 months. Only one week out of the 3 months, I was free of nipple thrush. My baby would suckle and I was biting my lips real hard to stop myself from screaming in pain. I would sit down with a pump and the pain would be excruciating even at the "massage" function. I contacted our local LLL for help and thank goodness for them. I demanded a high dosage of drugs to treat my thrush which eventually worked. The doctors said that thrush was a self-diagnosed illness and was reluctant to give it to me but I insisted. When I took the antibiotics for thrush, I didn't get better. I felt so lost. It wasn't until the tenth day when it started to work. I cried so much for three months. I kept going because I was stubborn. I didn't want to give up. I spent a fortune on different treatments as well.
    With my second thrush, when the antibiotics didn't work, I thought I was defeated. I was pumping and it hurt so bad that I turned off the pump and cried. I was going to work towards weaning. I cried for half an hour while looking at my baby. Then after my big cry, I turned on the pump again and decided that I was really not ready to wean. I told my baby (well, more to myself) that for as long as my baby needs and wants my milk, I will give it to her. My thrush started to get better and better (after the tenth day) and then one fine day, I was painfree!
    Now my baby is on exclusive breastmilk. I nearly gave up but I'm glad I didn't. I still cringe when I get a tear while pumping... wondering if my thrush will come back and knowing that when my baby starts teething, I may get more tears/cracks but at this moment, anyway, I'm hanging on.

I really believe that as long as you are comfortable with your decision, it really doesn't matter whether you breastfeed or not, or how long you breastfeed. I believe most of us want to but circumstances have made it really difficult to make it a success. I agree that in HK, there is really not much support. The medical community, the public and our family and friends do not really support breastfeeding. My GP told me that formula is just as good. My husband tells me to avoid breastfeeding in public as much as I can and to wait until we get home. Thank God for LLL. They are the only ones who keep telling me how well I'm doing or believe that I can do it despite the excruciating pain I was in.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast