Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rent a flat for my two helpers

carang is offline Registered User

what elle says is true... and however many of us disagree with this ruling, we do not make the laws.

we went from having one helper to hiring her husband, which was ok because they shared a room... but now my helper has moved to canada and her husband has the room to himself. this makes it difficult to legally employ another helper unless i move all of the bedrooms around, have her live out illegally, put an illegal structure on the roof or give her the "playroom/guest room" which is about 350' of our house....not something i'm inclined to do.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Quasimother, we had our pre-frab made in a shop in Saikung. Don't have the details to hand - on holiday - but can find them for you when back in HK.

Carang - ours is technically not illegal because it could be moved - it is raised off the floor, not built in. Of course it would be a massive pain to move and we would probably have to destroy it in the process but we can claim that it isn't illegal.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

Yes, technically it's illegal but zillions of families out there share helpers, that is, the helper goes to the grandparents place to cook/clean or goes to another friend's house to babysit, etc. If they don't get themselves into trouble and have to have the police come around at night, it shouldn't be too problematic. On another note, wouldn't it just be easier to get a bigger place with a helper's room?

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Quasimother, we had our pre-frab made in a shop in Saikung. Don't have the details to hand - on holiday - but can find them for you when back in HK.

Carang - ours is technically not illegal because it could be moved - it is raised off the floor, not built in. Of course it would be a massive pain to move and we would probably have to destroy it in the process but we can claim that it isn't illegal.
    Liquorice: Actually, as a fully qualified HK lawyer, I can confirm that Carang is 100% correct. It would be considered an illegal building structure notwithstanding that it is freestanding and raised off the floor. The law does not require that a structure be "built in" or bolted down to the floor. I have come across numerous HK legal authorities in which structures exactly like your pre-fabricated house have been deemed illegal structures. There was even one case in which a large, freestanding fish tank was ruled to be an illegal structure.

manolita is offline Registered User

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all your answers - finally my husband and I choose to hire a local helper who is supposed to be 'specialized" in child care - she would work 5 days a week and 8 hours a day. In terms of costs, it is the same than renting a flat + paying 2 helpers. We are recruiting right now since I have to go back to work end of May.
    it is really a pity that in Hong Kong we don t have any creche or nice child care center for working parents ...

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by manolita View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks a lot for all your answers - finally my husband and I choose to hire a local helper who is supposed to be 'specialized" in child care - she would work 5 days a week and 8 hours a day. In terms of costs, it is the same than renting a flat + paying 2 helpers. We are recruiting right now since I have to go back to work end of May.
    it is really a pity that in Hong Kong we don t have any creche or nice child care center for working parents ...
    working 40 hours a week is considered a full time employee. MPF, vacation, and minimum wage all applies. fulltime non foreign domestic worker insurance is also required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12