Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Enema during labour??

rani is offline Administrator

I was at the Adventist.

ozmerc is offline Registered User

I'm not sure it's the hospitals that are ordering these - I noticed it as the only instruction on a letter from my private doctor the the private hospital. So in the absence of that instruction I'm sure it wouldn't even arise. I'm slightly annoyed that this instruction was added but not even discussed or mentioned to me first - but I'm going to bring it up next appointment when we discuss my birth plan. It is a procedure that can be refused in any case. I'm also going through the public system as a back-up and although I haven't asked them yet, I'm certain that they do not do it as a matter of course.

CFM
    CFM is offline Registered User

Ozmerc - my doctor at the same hospital as you are going also mentioned this although it was not a problem for me to refuse it in the birth plan. There were some elements of my natural birth plans that she did not agree with and we had to negotiate somewhat....but that was not one of them. Explain your position clearly and I am sure the doctor will be happy to comply with your requests. I also felt it unnecessary and explained why and my choice was respected.

charade is offline Registered User

For the public route, I don't think an enema is standard. I delivered at United Christian and there was no mention it either (and I was at the hospital for an entire day before I was induced like Nicole). Since others have shared their experience at other public hospitals, it appears that this seems to be a general policy in the public system.

Roshna is offline Registered User

I had both my kids at the Matilda. WIth my first, i was induced because baby was overdue. I was offered an enema by the midwife (an angel!) while i was in the beginning stages of labor and i took it. Went to the bathroom, wasn't messy and felt so relaxed after it and ready to push! (though it still took a while after that before i actually had to!)

WIth my second, also at the Matilda, i asked for one and was told there's no need. I was not happy. I was more conscious about pushing (but of course, had to push anyway to get my son out and stop the pain his head was causing me!).

In Matilda, a lot of how your birthing experience goes depends on the midwife you get in charge of you. With my first kid, my birth plan flew out the window and i put myself in the hands of the midwife! And was so glad i did. With my second, i was a bit more stressed because the midwife was more stern. And then a different midwife came on duty and went a different direction from the first! (I was in the labor room a looooong time!).

This is not to say anything bad about Matilda, love the place! Just saying every midwife has a different style.

Sorry if TMI or too long!

bagel is offline Registered User

I had an enema (in Europe) when I was in the throes of labor. Imagine, I was in pain from the contractions and was undergoing an enema at the same time. Ended up having a C-section so it was unnecessary. Anyway, wanted to say that with the enema they make it sound a lot worse than it is.

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I've read some literature about enema usage. If they're just giving you an enema because they want to avoid "a mess" then that's the wrong reason. If they suggest it to augment labor or to make you more comfortable, that would be a good reason to have one. Actually, your bowels do have an effect on labor (hence why some women feel an urge to go poo when actually the baby is coming down and they are nearing the pushing stage of labor). Same thing can be said of why having an orgasm can trigger labor contractions. All of the parts "down there" are so close together that sometimes women who have "stalled out" in labor (labor is not progressing) have an enema and it gets things going again. And as long as you aren't in major labor pain and are able to be touched then getting an enema shouldn't be a big deal--a properly done enema is painless and can be relaxing (when I'm really in the throes of labor, I don't want anyone touching me except my husband and it has to be a specific type of touch--I wouldn't even let them do fetal monitoring on me with a portable wand while I was having contractions as it was absolutely painful and distressing).

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

2011mum is offline Registered User

what hospital are you going to?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12