Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favourite baby care books

RileyC is offline Registered User

Did anyone find the book "What to Expect the First Year" to be useful?

collsi is offline Registered User

Hi yes - I found the What to Expect Books very useful as reference books and would recommend them as such.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by collsi View Post
    Hi yes - I found the What to Expect Books very useful as reference books and would recommend them as such.
    Hi collsi. As the books appear quite "text heavy", did you find it difficult to find the topics that you were looking for at short notice? I guess that's what is putting me off them at the moment.

collsi is offline Registered User

Hi RileyC - No - I found the books easy to use - there's an index at the back and the chapters were pretty well laid out so I found it quick & easy to find the topics I wanted.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Secrets of the Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg

Happiest Baby On The Block by Harvey Karp, M.D.

( is the accompanying video for Happiest Baby on the block which I watched and found just as useful as the book)

Honestly, these are pretty much the only two books I've read as I've found a wealth of good information from blogs and websites online any time I had a specific question. I think it's not always good to read a ton of parenting books because they often have conflicting ideas that can be more confusing than helpful (and once you've actually got that little baby to take care of, who has enough time to sit down and read a lot anyway?). "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" was recommended to me by a counselor. At the time, my son was almost 6-months-old, didn't take regular naps and would be up 10 times at night. I read the book and started applying some of the suggestions and within two weeks we'd fixed his sleep problems and he started sleeping 12 hours at a time (still never took naps as a baby during the day, though)--so, I know that at least for me, this book helped tremendously.

one note from the "Happiest Baby On The Block" the shushing technique worked really well with my son (not an easy kid to calm) and works like magic with my daughter (she's 3 weeks now) so I'm pretty glad I knew about it before they were born.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyC View Post
    Did anyone find the book "What to Expect the First Year" to be useful?
    Um, not really. I didn't find the "What To Expect While You're Expecting" book very helpful either. And for most of the questions in there if you have a specific question like, "Why is my baby doing this..." I find it's better to just Google it and you'll find a lot of resources from medical websites to baby care websites.

peainpod is offline Registered User

Baby 411 (for the first year) and Toddler 411 (1-4 yrs) was a great resource and quick reference guide. I couldn't find it in HK so ordered them online from Amazon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast