Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP - Just found out pregnant...What now?

roysop is offline Registered User

Exclamation HELP - Just found out pregnant...What now?

Hi

My husband and I have just moved to HK just over a week ago. I have recently found out I am pregnant, I am only in the very early stages however I previously had a miscarriage so am keen to register with a doctor.

I am waiting for my dependency visa to come through so i'm in limbo in that respect. I have searched the forums and rang the Matilda, Queen Mary and Canoosa and didn't get very far.

I'm hoping somebody could point me in the right direction on the following
    1. How do you register for a doctor, does anyone know someone who they could reccomend?
    2. What forms do you need to register?
    3. How much is it for a consultation and scan? - As it isn't covered on my medical insurance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi

Congratulations. You need to decide if you are going for the private route or the public route. The costs for each are miles apart! I went private (I had insurance) and went with Dr Grace Cheung at Central Health and would recommend her. Central Health have a package for antenatal but the rough costs for the delivery at Matilda 15 months ago was around HK$100K for a semi private room (2 beds), natural delivery with epidural, 3 day stay. The other costs for antenatal visits and scans was about $35K. You need to book ASAP if you are wanting Matilda or Adventist as they fill up fast. You have to book before 9 weeks along (... I know ... it is crazy).

If you do a search on here you should find a lot of info on public vs private. Someone else will be better placed to comment on public but a few things to note on public route (happy to be corrected as just going my experiences of friends):

- you can't choose your doctor

- you'll need a HKID card otherwise I understand its still expensive going public

- long waits for appointments (ie: turn up and wait to be seen)

- BUT Very reasonably priced!!

rani is offline Administrator
    Congratulations!!!! Have a read through this article on Pregnancy

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/12-p...y-in-hong-kong

Thank you so much - this was just what i was looking for :) x

tsubasa is offline Registered User
    Not sure if you've done it yet, but go to see a G.P. and get a pregnancy test done with them so they can write an official note to refer you to a pregnancy clinic or hospital. Not sure about private but you will need one for public hospital registration.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    as long as you decide on the doctor you would like to see you, they will help you to register at the hospital that they deliver at (private). the cost at Matilda, HK Sanatorium and Adventist are all competitive - i believe Canossa has the most variety in rooms i.e. 2 people, 4 people, 6 people etc as well as single of course. you're only there for 3 days max (unless you have a c-section), so I would go with the hospital closest to your home or where your doc delivers the most regularly so he/she can get a booking for you more easily. there are many other issues, of course, that you might consider, like the quality of mid-wives, breastfeeding services, etc. but quite honestly, you're only there for 3 days, so you just need to make sure you feel comfortable in the hospital (all hospitals I've been to, are pretty decent - no major complains).

Thanks again all this is really helpful. I have booked an appointment to see Dr Chan in central next week, just going of the forums. Do i still need to go to a GP prior to this?
    Also does anyone have any experience with him?

Sorry for all the questions still trying to find my feet.

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    No- you dont need to see a GP first- it's not like the UK- you just go straight to the Obs.

Do you mean Patrick Chan?

If so, he's a good choice if you don't know where you're going to deliver because he will see women who intend to give birth in the public hospitals, unlike some of the private Obs who only see women who are giving birth in one of the private hospitals- i.e. they wont provide prenatal care if they're not doing the delivery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast