Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

helper's flight costs

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

helper's flight costs

we hired a new helper from 1 feb 2011 and we paid for her tickets to fly in from darjeeling (india). unfortunately, things aren't working for us as she's terrible at handling my toddler. the other household chores are done by me and hubby so her main duty is to look after my toddler. while interviewing, she said that she has experience with babies and also cooks very well and both confirmed to be a lie after she started with us.

we gave her chances to improve but she makes no effort to improve so we've decided to let her go. she said that her old employer wants her back so it works out ok for her!

the question: can i claim her flight costs from her old employer? just that i feel deceived to have paid for her flight costs.

carang is offline Registered User
    nope, it is your responsibility to pay for her return to her home city. one of the pitfalls of hiring from overseas, i'm afraid.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i have to pay for her flight back to india even if she isn't returning home anytime soon (she arrived end of jan 2011)? her old employer is taking her after she leaves me in a month - guess it doesn't matter whichever way... >.<

rebekah is offline Registered User
    I think you are required to pay for her travel to her home, if she flies elsewhere I don't know how that works...

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I thought that if you terminate the contract that she has to go home before she can start a new contract? So you have to pay for her flight....

carang is offline Registered User
    if she is terminated, you have to pay for her flight home. also, she must return home before processing a new contract, no choice in the matter.

laial is offline Registered User
    I've recently been looking into the whole process as we are hiring a new helper. And from what I can gather - if the helper is to change employers at the end of a contract, she needs to return home before the new contract begins (at the expense of the old employer) OR she can apply for an extension of her visa and start working for the new employer but must return home within the next 12 months (at the expense of the new employer).
    I'm not sure if this applies as well if the helper changes employers when a contract is terminated.

rani is offline Administrator
    It seems a lot of helpers are going to Macau and waiting there whilst their papers to be processed. However, you still need to give them the cost of a ticket home.