Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Play pens / Playards

evgreen is offline Registered User

Play pens / Playards

Are play pens one of those 'can't do without' purchases for babies or are they totally unnecessary? If you don't have a moment to watch over your little one (say busy in the kitchen or bathroom) at home, I would image that these would be indispensable, but I could be wrong since I will be a first time mom.

If you have one and recommend one, what should I be looking out for? If not, how do you deal with not having a moment when you're home alone?

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    I think a safe area that you can put them once they are mobile but still have no concept of danger is essential but it doesn't have to be a playpen. Just for those moments when you have to do something and can't be carrying a wriggly baby as well.

Some people use the cot (we didn't as I wanted it to be clear that when he goes in the cot he is expected to sleep, probably overthinking it though!), some people use a travel cot set up in the living room, some people babyproof one room/area. We bought a stairgate to block off a section of corridor, we covered the plug sockets in that area and once we shut the doors in the corridor he had a nice big playpen :-)

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    For my first I had zero use for one. Now with my second, i bought a travel lite portable cot, which i will use as a travel cot in a few months, but in the meantime I just have it in the living room. I put #2 in there when I want to keep her safe from #1, or when I'm lazy to put her down for a nap in her real bed, as she is a catnapper.
    I don't think playpens are particularly useful for one child only, if you have a relatively safe are for them and keep a reasonable eye on them. I never had a time with my first when i wished I had one.

Biggie is offline Registered User
    We use our travel cot to put the baby in so the dog can't get him. Why dont you wait and see if you need it. It's easy to get when you need one later
    Posted via Mobile Device

evgreen is offline Registered User
    i never even thought about the dog situation! i have a large standard poodle at home. thanks for all the advice. i think i will wait and see if a play pen is needed. a fenced in baby proof area also seems sensible.

jeffmama is offline Registered User
    how old of your baby? here my exp. for your reference.
    i bought a graco playpen when my son was 7months because he started learning stand however his legs' muscle not strong enough. he started walking when 10months old so i have to abandone the playpen and bought a big playards (10 panels) and placed in the living room. though i had safety gate at the kitchen door, purpose to have the playards because i want to set-up a play area for my kid that he will have no question & confusion. (i.e. wooden cot = for sleep; high chair = meat time...etc) now he is almost 18months and quite enjoy playing/ reading inside the playards so far