Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Picky Eaters

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Picky Eaters

My daughter, who turns 6 months tomorrow, started rice cereal 2 weeks ago. She loves it - gobbles it down with ease and even opens her mouth for it as the spoon is coming. But - this week, I gave her some carrot and then some broccoli (steamed then pureed) and she hated both!! In fact, she hated it so much that she gagged when I tried to feed it to her and often tries to spit it out. My son never had this problem - just ate whatever it was that I gave him. Now I"m worried that she won't eat anything but rice cereal mixed with my breastmilk! Anybody had this experience with their little ones? Just seeking some reassurance that my baby will eventually eat something other than rice cereal. Thanks.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I am sure she will be fine. It sometimes takes a few days to get used to a new taste. Broccoli has a strong flavour so maybe try something else. We used the Gina Ford book of weaning and she recommends the following - a new flavour every 3 or so days:

1st and 2nd week of weaning: pear, apple, carrot, sweet potato, swede, courgette

3rd week of weaning: broccoli, cauliflower, peas, peaches, mango, parsnip, avocado, yoghurt

4th week of weaning: chicken stock, lentils

I really like her approach as very straight forward and easy to follow.

If she doesn't like something I'd try again in another week or so.

My daughter (my second) is a completely different baby than my son was as well. Much more strong willed!

OlympianCity is offline Registered User
    Try some other kind of food for a few days.. then return to broccoli and carrots. (the baby would have forgotten about her first experience with these food by then) Sometimes it takes a few tries on each kind of food before the baby accepts it.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Not really surprising, she's used to bland food in a spoon and suddenly gets a taste of something completely different she wouldn't have been expecting. Some babies are more sensitive to that than others.

Try giving her finger food to pick up for herself so she can investigate the texture and taste at her own speed.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    Two of my kids would only ever eat carrot mixed with a little milk (breast or formula) at that stage. It can be a little bit of trial and error with most babies.
    But as another poster said, it's very early days so try to be patient and keep offering. I think it can take as many as 10 'tastes' before they get used to a new flavour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    OK. Thanks very much for all your advice.....it's just that my son was easy with the feeding when he was that age. I'll just keep trying and hope for the best!

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    Try mixing the fruit / veg with rice cereal and introduce the taste slowly??