Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Easter Holiday OFF?

pipinhk is offline Registered User
    This sounds very fair, and she will probably really appreciate it. :-)

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by nycshelly View Post
    So, I have two very small children and my husband is going to be out of town on this easter holiday weekend --- it is so hard to care for the kids by myself and i love her help.
    That being said, she works very hard and deserves days off --- I was thinking to offer her to work until like 9 or 10 in the morning and then have the rest of the day off. This way, the hardest part of the day is finished and she can still have a nice day off.
    Does this sound fair to you??? THANKS!
    If you're going to be on your own struggling with 2 kids, then maybe just ask her to work and give her some extra time off the week after for Labour Day, or when your husband is back. Also if she wants to go to church for Easter mass then perhaps just give her the morning off? Best to speak to her and see what she says. She may not want to go out at all.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    We give ours all the public holidays off regardless of stat or otherwise. If I am at home alone with my two small kids, she does pop in and out and help with bits and bobs which is nice.

happyflipper is offline Registered User
    I would decided what help I want during those days and let her know.

You should decide what works for you as you are on your own with 2 kids during the holidays. If you need your helper to work full day or part day, you are entitled to ask her to do so (remember you need to enjoy the holidays too!) As long as you figure out what works for you and then talk to her. No need to be concerned about what other thinks or do.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It's more than fair - you're giving her extra time off, anything that you give her is a bonus :) I would think about it from the perspective of how much help do you NEED during that time - and ask her to help with that, but then even if she had 10am-6pm (for example) off, then even THAT much is a bonus for her... For me, I know that the hours from 5pm-8/9pm are the worst in my house and I would appreciate the extra help then even more so than in the morning...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nycshelly View Post
    So, I have two very small children and my husband is going to be out of town on this easter holiday weekend --- it is so hard to care for the kids by myself and i love her help.
    That being said, she works very hard and deserves days off --- I was thinking to offer her to work until like 9 or 10 in the morning and then have the rest of the day off. This way, the hardest part of the day is finished and she can still have a nice day off.
    Does this sound fair to you??? THANKS!
    i would do what works best for your situation, after all she's here to HELP you. Each family has there own priorities so what's fair for you might not be fair for another...that being said, i honestly don't think any one of us here is out to take advantage of our helpers.

our family always has the helper around during the weekend (she has Sunday off) cause we have to kids (2.8yrs and 10mths) and I'm pregnant with #3, so if we want to go anywhere, we really do need her help...that's that for our family. if she has any thing she needs to get done on her work days, then of course she can go get it done - that's not a problem.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Honkyblues View Post
    Leslie, new hires DO get statutory holidays off during the first 3 months. You are just not obliged to pay for those holidays. But really, who is going to withhold a few hundred dollars from someone who needs it so much???
    oops...my dad's "experienced" helper that has been in HK for 14yrs gave me this info so I had my new hire work on Ching Ming...I've never thought about witholding money though...like you say who would do such a thing?!?

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Thanks Nicole for the link! Very helpful!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast