Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Easter Holiday OFF?

nycshelly is offline Registered User

Easter Holiday OFF?

Hello,

I was under the impression that domestic helpers get this coming easter holiday off (total of 4 days) but was just told by a friend that they do not.
    I looked on a few websites for "Hong Kong Domestic Helper Statutory Holidays" and she is right, it is not listed here.
    Can you please tell me if you are giving this weekend off to your helper??? Many thanks!

Shelly

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    no - i am not giving my helper 4 days off (she'd get her normal Sat/Sun off)...if she requests then she could swap one of her Sundays off for a day off during the Easter Holiday...also, if it is a new hire, they don't get statutory holidays off during their 3 month probation period. normally my helper will not want to be off for that long (2 days is max she'd want) because when she returns, the amount of laundry piles up and she has even more work to do to clean up the house.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I think they do as it is a stat holiday. Look under the govt holiday site for hong kong.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Leslie, new hires DO get statutory holidays off during the first 3 months. You are just not obliged to pay for those holidays. But really, who is going to withhold a few hundred dollars from someone who needs it so much???

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/news/la...lidays2011.htm

NONE of the easter holidays are Stat holidays so you don't have to give any time off.

Personally I give our helper half days off every Saturday and public holiday (actually most public holidays we give her the full day off). I prefer NOT having her around the house when my hubby is here, and I figure that a little bit of extra holidays can go a long way for the relationship. But if you give them any of the days off, it is because you WANT to, not because you are obliged to...

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    We usually give all public holidays off, regardless of statutory or not. She works hard for little money (although we pay her well above minimum), so I have absolutely no problem with that. I'll do the basics myself during those days, so that she doesn't return in a big mess (which happens quite easily with 3 kids). This year we'll be away for 10 days so I'll leave her a list of a few things to do that often get overlooked, and she can do it whenever she wants within those 1 1/2 weeks.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    it's upto you - i also give my helper (old or new) public hols off. that way i can be at home or out with my little family and she's happy to have days off too. :)

nycshelly is offline Registered User
    So, I have two very small children and my husband is going to be out of town on this easter holiday weekend --- it is so hard to care for the kids by myself and i love her help.
    That being said, she works very hard and deserves days off --- I was thinking to offer her to work until like 9 or 10 in the morning and then have the rest of the day off. This way, the hardest part of the day is finished and she can still have a nice day off.
    Does this sound fair to you??? THANKS!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast