Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

When do you start registering your child for pre-school?

RileyC is offline Registered User

Question When do you start registering your child for pre-school?

I'm expecting my first child in September 2011. When should I start registering my child for English-language playschools/pre-schools in Hong Kong (HK island), especially those that are popular? What is the usual procedure? Is there usually a sign-up/registration fee? Any pointers would be gratefully appreciated!

carang is offline Registered User

best thing is to call each school individually as each will have its own system.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User

My advice would be that it is never soon enough for the international ones. The ESF ones have their own requirements (I think you can only apply the year before the year in which they would start). The problem we faced is that we moved to a new area in HK when our boy was 18 months old and then were well down the list on the schools that were then closest to us. You need to think long term about where you might be living in 3 years time when the child will start preschool or you may end up having a long commute to take them to and from school.

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by starbucks2 View Post
    My advice would be that it is never soon enough for the international ones. The ESF ones have their own requirements (I think you can only apply the year before the year in which they would start). The problem we faced is that we moved to a new area in HK when our boy was 18 months old and then were well down the list on the schools that were then closest to us. You need to think long term about where you might be living in 3 years time when the child will start preschool or you may end up having a long commute to take them to and from school.
    Good tip, thanks.