Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Urgent: in a diemma. please share your suggestion

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    What's your intuition telling you ? you felt good with her ? I agree that no every one can get along with every one... it could work with you as it didn't work for her former employer. Maybe you'll have to make a few efforts and make sure she understands what you want.
    I've interviewed a few helpers, and right at the time I was opening the door, I knew if it would be ok or not, with our without references.
    Maybe you'll be very satisfied, or just ok but not too bad, or it will be a bad experience, but at least you tried !

rs2000 is offline Registered User
    Hi All,

just an update: I have signed someone from philippines and now have to wait for her to come here.
    the girl i found in here in HK (the one without an employer reference), made up new stories and I have decided not to cosider her anymore.
    despite the myterious background, i did belive her and wanted to give her a chance. this is what she did.
    I called her on thursday to speak and told her I am fine signing the contract. She told me her last visa is on Monday (18th april) however her profile said its on 2nd May.
    Then she told me she would goto immigration on friday morning to check what documents she needed and to check her visa status. she was no update on friday.
    then on monday, i asked her to come so that we can sign the contract. she said she would first goto immigration (again) to find out the list of documents neededv and will then come to sign the contract. she came at 3pm and told me that the immigration will close at 4 pm and she needed some more documents (my address proof etc).
    then on tuesday morning i handed the documents to her and signed the contract. she went to immigration and called me that the officer told her that her visa has run out (although she had told me on friday that she got it extended till may2 ). now yesterdya till 5 pm she was supposedly at immigration and was extending her visa.
    i was so frustrated with all this, i called her to return all my documents and then signed up someone from philipines

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't hire her if I couldn't speak with the previous employers.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    yeah starbucks2 is right - my mother did exactly that and the experience was SO bad that the helper did not even complete her probation period...shouldn't say this but I believe there is ALWAYS a hidden problem if you can't speak with the previous employer

anotherone is offline Registered User
    Glad you found out before it is too late. I have been jerked around in a similar way quite a few times (yes more than once, shameful I know).

Let us know how you get on with the new helper - I'm also waiting for mine to arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by rs2000 View Post
    Hi All,

just an update: I have signed someone from philippines and now have to wait for her to come here.
    the girl i found in here in HK (the one without an employer reference), made up new stories and I have decided not to cosider her anymore.
    despite the myterious background, i did belive her and wanted to give her a chance. this is what she did.
    I called her on thursday to speak and told her I am fine signing the contract. She told me her last visa is on Monday (18th april) however her profile said its on 2nd May.
    Then she told me she would goto immigration on friday morning to check what documents she needed and to check her visa status. she was no update on friday.
    then on monday, i asked her to come so that we can sign the contract. she said she would first goto immigration (again) to find out the list of documents neededv and will then come to sign the contract. she came at 3pm and told me that the immigration will close at 4 pm and she needed some more documents (my address proof etc).
    then on tuesday morning i handed the documents to her and signed the contract. she went to immigration and called me that the officer told her that her visa has run out (although she had told me on friday that she got it extended till may2 ). now yesterdya till 5 pm she was supposedly at immigration and was extending her visa.
    i was so frustrated with all this, i called her to return all my documents and then signed up someone from philipines

Portia is offline Registered User
    rs2000 - Do you know if she submitted your signed documents? If yes or if unsure, you should inform Immigration that you will no longer sponsor her visa.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    yeah starbucks2 is right - my mother did exactly that and the experience was SO bad that the helper did not even complete her probation period...shouldn't say this but I believe there is ALWAYS a hidden problem if you can't speak with the previous employer

you're right, you shouldn't say this and such a categorization is shallow, narrow and just is not true. we have hired two helpers (who are both still with us and who watch our child at times) without speaking to their previous employers (one employer didn't speak English so a reason was given and the other, well, we were told that they had left HK. both times we interviewed them and they presented themselves well, were well spoken and no red flags. although it seems that having references is the norm in HK, i know plenty of other people who have hired helpers without references based on in person interviews. it all comes down to the person and how you feel about them, as it would with any employeer/ employee situation. in the OP's situation it seems like there were red flags in addition to the helper not being able to provide a reference.

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Elle, point is you were able to contact the previous employer but logistically you couldn't because you don't speak the language, that is very different to not being able to contact the previous employer at all.

My two cents is this, certainly a glowing reference doesn't guarantee you that your helper will be a great fit with your family but it does carry some benefits, in that the helper has performed well enough to warrant an employer happy enough to speak up on their behalf, also generally the helper has not been caught out stealing, or exhibiting other untoward behaviour.

For helpers without a reference, a recommendation, then sure they may be a portion in the pool who are decent but unfortunately they'll be mixed in with the really bad eggs, neglectful, thieving, lying ones, and unless you are a supreme judge of character....I'd just as soon pick from the first pool.

Each to their own.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast